Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Travelogue: Flat Stanley at Wall Drug, S.D."

"Flat Stanley" has become a world-traveled icon thanks to the children's book, so named, that brought him to fame. If you are unaware of the story and how it's used in the classroom, elementary classes (grades 1-2 range) will read the book and create their own Flat Stanley and mail him to someone in some other city, state, or country...that person will in turn take Stanley places and photograph him in neat areas and then send the pictures back to the student...the class then makes a big scrapbook of "The Adventures of Flat Stanley". Fun stuff.

While in South Dakota, I received my North Carolina Stanley and took him to a famous shopping mecca for young and old alike: The famous Wall Drug, in Wall, S.D. on I-90 near the Badlands National Park.

It's an odd cacophany of stores, crafts, trinkets galore, cheap coffee, statues, exhibits and play areas...

...and Stanley wasted no time going on his own adventures, clambering over everything he could...

Stanley even quoted a little Shakespeare for me:
"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Pronghorn Antelope, lend me your ears..."

It's a good thing this bear was well-trained...

He even got to rub elbows with the big boys...

If only this thunderbird could've flown, I betcha he'd have taken wing with it...

Stanley's a punny guy...he told me to ride this bronze was a buck...

There were hare-raising moments...especially with the mother of all prarie dogs...

In short, he found Wall Drug 'teaming' with things to do. He even got to do a little forecasting, calling for reins that afternoon....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm LOL! :)
I have heard of Flat Stanley from my neice and nephews, but those travel pics of him take the cake!

Wow, great "change-of-pace" travelogue, and chuckles!

I'm glad Flat Stanley had such a fun, full travel day of adventure! (And what do I bet that "Mr. Bob" had every bit as much fun too??!!) :)

Suzy :)

Anonymous said...

Since I've been without Catarina(cat) since yesterday and won't get her back for few more days, I needed a good laugh-and I sure got one from today's blog post. I appreciate it very much.

Nothing serious with the cat, just couldn't give her medications from tooth extractions, so had to board her at the vets for them to do it. Lori

Bob Child said...

Glad to hear Catarina will be on the mend - and glad you got a chuckle! In fact, Mr. Bob did have fun carting that little guy around - good exercise in creativity!