Monday, April 06, 2009

Couple o' new flutes

Got to hit the road to do a Bojangle's training film voice-over, so won't write a whole lot today. The script is all about the cleaning steps they have to go through for all the equipment and store and, well, seems like they would be cleaning endlessly. NOT my forte! Note to self: "Don't go into the restaurant business..."

Two new flutes to share with you...shortly I'll put up a sound sample, but it's just pics for now. First up is my new Low E with the Verdi A432 tuning. The body is Papua New Guinea Walnut and the block is Sapele, though it's mostly the whiter sapwood (see second flute for Sapele heartwood). I wanted a block with a "V" in it to stand for Verdi and as I took the wood and began shaping it, it came out like a geometric ram/goat:

(click on pics to enlarge)





A couple of years ago I purchased a board of Cocobolo that had some of the most stunning patterns I've ever seen in that wood...and it did not disappoint as I rounded it all down. Cocobolo is an oily wood but sands/polishes to this glass-like surface. Many finishes don't adhere well to the wood, and this is simply hand-sanded to 1,200-grit and a coat of Danish wood oil applied. It has a gorgeous natural lustre just as it is. The Praying Eagle fetish is from Sapele (heartwood) and helps bring out the oranges in the flute.






Carpe Diem, y'all!!!

No comments: