Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Goodbye, Oscar

As you may know from prior posts, I hail from a musical family, and while my sister and mom are the stellar pianists and vocalists, I couldn't help but take that left turn at Albuquerque when I was in elementary school and veer from classical music into boogie woogie and jazz.

And so I was always in awe of the jazz piano greats...not all genres and styles trip my trigger, but I bow to the masters that make my jaw drop. One album in particular I found phenomenal in it's improvisation along with well-disciplined technique: Oscar Peterson's "Digital at Montreux", released July 19, 1989.


His Duke Ellington series on that particular recording are breath-taking, especially the medley with "Caravan" in it. He was steeped in the classical tradition at an early age, which is boldly evident in any passage you hear. He was phenomenal, and could sweat a river with the best of 'em when got into his playing. He played with all his Heart and Soul in every performance and truly lived his Passion in life.

Oscar passed away in this past Sunday in his home in Mississauga, Ontario, due to kidney failure. No need for me to rewrite his obituary as it's plastered everywhere...but this eight-time Grammy winner and Lifetime Achievement recipient has left a legacy and level of achievement that, of which, few will ever get close enough to even get a whiff.

And so I leave you with some video links of his that are worth a listen...and ironically enough, this first video is his rendition of an appropriately titled song...

(click on pics for links)

Oscar Peterson Trio
"Goodbye"



Oscar Peterson, piano
Niels Pedersen, bass
Martin Drew, drums
"Cakewalk"

I trust everyone had and is continuing to enjoy special times with friends and family this holiday season. Back into the swing of things for me, but I especially enjoyed seeing my twin niece and nephew for the first time, now going on 6 mos. I think I smell blog pictures just ahead...!

No comments: