Thursday, December 27, 2007

What I did...what I'm doing....

What I did....on my Christmas break....

Among many other things, I got to see my twin niece and nephew for the first time. ~6 months old and growing fast, down from Boston, thanks to the generosity of my brother and sister-in-law...

Little William practicing scales

Elfen Ellen all aglow

(endless captions, here)

three generations

"Swing your partner do-si-do..."

"Grand" time for feeding

"You're scaring me, Dad..."

The Child chilluns and grand-chilluns


...and what I'm now doing???

Oh, ruminating about something that has been boiling for a few weeks...and so I look to sage sayings that express the situation at hand...

Kenny Rogers sang in "The Gambler":

"You got to know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em..."


Ranks up there with the saying:

"Pick your battles carefully."

I am not fond of New Year's resolutions; every day should encompass every holiday, every focus, every effort...but it's only natural at year's end to take stock of the past 12 months see what sticks out in your mind. No doubt I focus on the 'good stuff' and find plenty to take stock of...but of late, I've gotten fed up with those who choose to use no manners in dealing with others.

You've probably heard the expressions referring to people as 'warm fuzzies' or 'cold pricklies'. The latter send out negative energy waves a mile away, and I either steer clear or let them pass without incident. With that said, lately, I've gotten kinda fed up with the lot of 'em.

I don't just mean that isolated instance where you hold a door for someone and they barrel through and don't bother to look, smile, or say 'thank you'...you know, the ones where you smile and holler "You're welcome!" as they hurriedly continue on their way. Some people are just toxic day in and day out.

Maybe it's because I just turned another year older this week that I'm feeling my age, growing weary of putting up with rudeness from the 'cold pricklies' out there...I think part of their brashness is because no one ever stands up to them and says 'that is not acceptable'.

It's not a risk-free option to speak up, and I'm sure I'll return to my 'go with the flow' being soon enough. It just reached a point where I had to speak up to some. And I have. Maybe you can relate and have done the same...just felt like sharing that this morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,

thanks for sharing the pictures, glad you had a nice christmas, so many people in this world are cold, and just dont care, if you are lucky enough to meet any angels through life cherish.... them !!they are few and far between, some folks are just "naturally" born angels..... kind to everyone they encounter in life, angels keep flying and spreading your wings !! HAPPY NEW YEAR BOB !!!

Tracey and Mark

Bob Child said...

Thanks, y'all...and 'back atcha' for a great 2008. We can never have too many angels on this earth...

bob

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob - How nice to see the holiday photos -- my goodness how time flies! I cannot believe that Bunky has twins ... wow! Happy New Year - keep in touch!

Your good friend - Wanda Silva

Bob Child said...

Well, hello, stranger! Long time no talk or write...we are both guilty! Hope you and yours had a blessed Christmas, and that your 2008 will be wildly successful. I'm workin' on it from my end! LOL!

bob