Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"Freight train is a comin'...."

Eeegads....the Carolinas are in the upper region of a VERY volatile weather set-up for Tuesday evening/night. Looking at the national storm reports from this system yesterday, 90% of the reports were for 'wind damage'...just one official tornado report, though, which makes me feel a little better. Still, straight-line winds can do plenty of damage...regardless, looks like we've got a live-wire coming in late Tuesday. May I be funny and say 'glad it's not on my shift!'???!!!

The above is a preliminary probability graphic for this evening's storm coverage and intensity...with Highway 1 and I-95 being two major N-S corridors theoretically in the 'hot seat'.

Lest I forget...

T-minus 12 and counting...

Now, on with our regularly scheduled blog...

March is simply notorious for wild weather in the Southeast...this is the time of year the southerly and polar branches of the jet stream are duking it out for dominance...so you have warm, moist, unstable air juxtaposed against cold, dry, stable air behind it...all setting the stage for stormy, wacky weather that means a lot of convection (read 'thunderstorms') and temperature swings.

The above Eastern Conus Sector infrared image shows that strong tap of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. Just let the mighty Mercy out at 1:15 am and it was almost warm outside...and sadly, from Mercy's perspective, there were no shadowy gollywogs to chase.

Mercy will perform her upcoming job with precision, though: I try to sleep from 630 pm 'til 1 am, which is precisely the window for most of the incoming storm activity...and as if I won't hear the storms to begin with, Mercy will be in my face telling me, "Dad, there's a storm! A storm, dad! Sounds like bunches of 'em! Yep, there's a big storm out there - didja hear that one, Dad? Didja? Huh? Huh?..."

Something tells me a good night's rest is not in my cards...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. The beginning of the rain is now here and Catarina has let me know she is not happy. She has been jumpy all morning. Try wearing earplugs and headphones, listening to handheld radio during the storms-works for me.

Bob Child said...

Thanks for the ideas, Lori - animals really DO sense the change in pressure and geo-magnetic shifts, and I learned long ago to take Mercy's actions more seriously if I couldn't detect anything. There is a limited back-edge of storms coming up through NE GA as I write that will be my last nemesis...looks like stuff is moving through a little bit ahead of schedule. YAY! for sleep!