Thursday, April 05, 2007

"Travelogue: Craven Canyon, Black Hills, S.D."

(CLICK PICTURES TO ENLARGE)

Craven Canyon is "somewhere" in the Black Hills. While on protected land, it is rather remote, and the noted petroglyphs and pictographs are not, themselves, well-protected. When I made my video postcard of this area, I spoke in advance with the National Forest personnel who watched over this treasured area, letting them know what I wanted to create and 'say' to viewers. I feel I have an obligation to show natural 'treasures' while at the same time treading a thin line to protect them, as well. Face it: there are a lot of insensitive dolts out there who wouldn't think twice about defacing such an ancient site, hence my not spilling my 'locator' beans. With research you can find it, as I did...

It's a good hike in to the 'place', no doubt...and while now a semi-arid region, eons ago there must have a been a lot of water to have carved the canyon and its picturesque walls. Spiritually speaking, the area of the paintings and carvings definitely serves as a 'power-center' for things Sacred, as it was apparently used/occupied over many centuries...

While information is not definitive by any means, Craven Canyon was used by unknown ancient cultures, in terms of thousands of years through dating of the art styles and established patinas. Sometimes there is a beauty in not 'knowing' something...we as a society have developed this obsession of wanting to know every little detail of information about any and everything, which is NOT how you find the heart of matters Spiritual. There just aren't a whole lot of answers for this unique place, worthy of protection.

For your knowledge, petroglyphs are images that are painted or drawn onto the rock surfaces...



...where pictographs are chiseled or etched into the stone surfaces...sadly, in the past certain individuals have tried to flake off the stone facing where the images are, only to destroy the very thing their greedy hearts wanted to steal in the first place.


I do remember it was a blistering hot day, and I didn't carry nearly enough water for myself. I was smart enough to leave the pups at home, knowing the terrain involved and that highly limited water sources would be an issue...

In that aridness, though, remains a rawness of beauty that makes you want to keep walking around the next bend or rise...

I made my Journey to find and see the drawings for myself, in silence, and in reverance. In so doing, I found a whole lot more along the way....

As you travel to places, be they big or small destinations, make sure you take the time to 'see' things that others might miss...rushing from point A to point B is...well....pointless. Look for the Beauty and you will find it staring at you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Bob! Great pics of an even Greater area! One of the petroglyphs actually looks like a "whale" or an ancient "sea mammal" of some kind. My "Ancient Civ(ilization)" humanities classes from H.S. and college are escaping me right now, but I'm trying to remember if that part of North America was ever covered by seas .....

Again, thanks for sharing such wonderful pics!
Suzy :)