Monday, April 02, 2007

"You Just Never Know..."

Here I sit on a Monday morning...and I'm not at work! Originally last night was supposed to have been a very special concert I was participating in that, alas, was canceled last week. I'd put in for this day off, and though the concert was canceled I decided to keep the day off and make for a creative long weekend. It worked! I plan on posting pics of a new flute someone commissioned with a "Jonah and the Whale" theme...cool looking flute, with a couple of "firsts" in my flute-making Journey. Stay tuned for that tomorrow.

Speaking of 'firsts'...loved scanning the AP wires this morning and reading about Sunday's miraculous golfing victory of Morgan Pressel, who sitting in the clubhouse after a very respectable tournament finish watched the leaders fall by the wayside on their final approaches. Suzann Pettersen had her victory all but sealed, leading 4-under with 4 holes to play before the proverbial wheels fell off her cart...her fate cemented when she missed her birdie putt on 18. In that moment, Ms. Pressel became the youngest woman ever to win an LPGA championship...at the ripe age of 18 years, 10 months, and 9 days. That's good stuff for the record books...unless you're Suzann Pettersen, of course.

Continuing on with 'firsts', the NCAA men's basketball final Monday night should be a barn-burner between two strong #1 teams, Ohio State and the defending NCAA champions Florida. I grew up in a tennis family (which is why I took up golf...Mr. Gotta-Be-Different, here!) and watched, among others, Yannick Noah play some impressive matches in his professional career (turned pro in 1977 and was inducted in the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2005)...as you may well know, his son Joakim Noah is one of the anchors to the Florida assault sqaud, and seemingly unstoppable. Ohio State has not been to the finals since 1962, and while a unit heavy on the freshmen side, they may well have the fearless hunger to give Florida a serious run for the money...or not. While on paper it should be a top-flight match-up...well, hence my title today. You just never know...

Yet another first is apparent to those that know me pretty well...I always tell people I'm a strange male in that;

I don't watch sports, and...

I love to shop.

Weird, huh. Love to participate in sports (when physically able these days!), but to sit down and watch a full game of any sort has heretofore been a rare event for me, no matter the season or level of play. So to talk so much 'sports' in this blog is a bit beyond my norm, but as I sat down to write, that's what I wanted to talk about...and that's what I love about the creative process, writing or otherwise: You just never know...

Time to go put Jonah in his boat for his new Journey...a whale of a Journey, no less.

P.S.: It's no fluke...

No comments: