Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"One for the ages..."

Growing up, I was always a large kid for my age, and ended up playing a lot of sports. Never super fast or quick, I was just big, and did okay at the sports I played. As I grew older, my quirk was I liked to play some sports, but I never was a 'watcher' of sports on TV. As I tell folks now, I'm a strange male in that I love to shop and never watch sports on TV.

Generally, that cup holds water. Backing up to Monday's 'stuff', it was one of those days where everything happened at once. All would be quiet, and then the phone would ring 3 times within 2 minutes, with 3 different people needing totally different information, etc., and I would tell 2 I'll call them back ASAP while I dealt with the first, and, well, we all have days like that. When it rains it pours, what can I say.

Monday was like that for me. Whatever transpired did so simultaneously. By 3:30pm or so, the dust was settling once again, and I was glad as it was nearing my last couple of hours where I gear down for sleep.

And so I just happened to find that the U.S. Open golf tournament had not been settled Sunday...that Tiger Woods had rallied to tie Rocco Mediate for the lead, which lead to a twosome-only 18-hole playoff on Monday. And at the time I saw this, they were on the final few holes. Neck and neck. Tit for tat. All the way through the 18th hole as each sank critical putts to send them into a sudden death playoff. I believe I heard the announcer say this is only the third one he had seen since the rule was put in place back in the '50s. 91 holes of regulation play to determine a winner.

Mediate, left, and Woods, right
(AP photo/Chris Carlson)

May I remind you I'm not a sports watcher...but this one was for the record books, all the way around the board. I was fascinated, I'll admit...to watch the underdog extraordinaire, Mediate, try to bring down the Goliath Woods as they went back to the course again for their sudden death face-off.

Rocco had a bad tee-off into a trap, then had to drop a ball on the subsequent shot, only to run too far past the hole to insure a score-tying putt to Tiger's well-placed shots. Game over, Tiger won, Mediate played honorably.

In short, just an odd thing that for all the myriad things I needed to take care of and do, here was this rather rare instance of a golfing duel going far above and beyond the norm to decide the winner. Kind of nice to just sit and watch and take it all in. Mercy enjoyed her constant petting, too (it was in the low 90s outside, so she preferred the A/C to the heat!).

Sometimes it's good to just pull the plug and go with the flow, to quit trying to force actions that aren't happening naturally. That's what I decided to do. What I didn't get to yesterday will be there today, no doubt, and I'll decide then what to do. So much of our daily stress in lives comes from fighting the 'current' of Life's flow and trying to force our will and desire upon the Universal time-line...it never works well and not worth the wasted effort when all is said and done. Not that I always choose to remember that, but it's always 'there' as a silent, deep, river.

Can't pass up the opportunity to pass along a little humor, since that is my default in life. Golf humor, to be more appropriate. Even if you've heard this one before, smile and laugh even if but for a second...

----------------------------

A Hole In One

As a young man, Norton was an exceptional golfer. At the age of 26, however, he decided to become a priest, and joined a rather peculiar order. He took the usual vows of poverty,chastity, but his order also required that he quit golf and never play again. This was particularly difficult for Norton, but he agreed and was finally ordained a priest.

One Sunday morning, the Reverend Father Norton woke up and realizing it was an exceptionally beautiful and sunny early spring day, decided he just had to play golf.

So... he told the Associate Pastor that he was feeling sick and convinced him to say Mass for him that day.

As soon as the Associate Pastor left the room, Father Norton headed out of town to a golf course about forty miles away. This way he knew he wouldn't accidentally meet anyone he knew from his parish.


Setting up on the first tee, he was alone. After all, it was Sunday morning and everyone else was in church!


At about this time, Saint Peter leaned over to the Lord while looking down from the heavens and exclaimed, "You're not going to let him get away with this, are you?"


The Lord sighed, and said, "No, I guess not.


"Just then Father Norton hit the ball and it shot straight towards the pin, dropping just short of it, rolled up and fell into the hole.
It was a 420 yard hole in one!

St. Peter was astonished. He looked at the Lord and asked, "Why did you let him do that?"


The Lord smiled and replied,"Who is he going to tell?"


FORE!!!!!

No comments: