Monday, April 19, 2010

Old story rearing its head....


Musing out loud, here....


A friend, notorious for mass forwarding mass emails, sent yet another zinger lie last evening. It so happens he is a Republican of the more conservative Christian Coalition side of the tracks. It is no surprise that the tenor of his emails is clearly anti-Obama. To each his own, I say. We are each free to hold and voice our own opinions. HOWEVER.....

I draw the line when people choose to perpetuate untruths to promote their agenda.

Why do I write this? Simply yet another email sent my way, which many I ignore and delete without reading....and in all of less than a minute I searched for the real story and....guess what....it's not true, not like the email intends, which in this case is to disparage Obama and trump up hatred for him via Muslim-based lies.

Yes, hatred is a strong, strong word. I can't call it anything less, though.

The only question I have is, "WHY?" OK, they hate Obama, they hate democrats, they hate gays, they hate anything that is counter to their beliefs. Oh, so let me get this straight....it's OK to LIE as long as it promotes your so-called 'truth'? That's really pathetic.

It's Americans behaving badly, is what it is.


I guess I can't fathom how people willfully choose to ignore or not search for the truth, or that have no desire to compromise in any way shape or form. That's bigotry of the worst kind. I think we should hand out bumper stickers for 'em that say "I CHOOSE TO BE BLIND"

About a year ago, I took one of his emails and did a respectful 'reply all' explaining the responsibility to seek the truth about rumors...and got a nasty-gram from one of the recipients asking, 'in the name of Jesus Christ', how I got their name. I told them with a full explanation. Go figure why I never heard back from them. Now, he's gotten a little more wise, and 'reply all' only goes to him, not the mass email list. Too bad, as I was prepared to have some fun with this one.

I just put this out there since it's gotten in my face yet again, and I'm tired of being railroaded by what amounts to nothing more than political, theocratic thugs. Seem to be crawling out of the woodwork these days, too.

Okie-dokie, getting off my soapbox, and going back to using the delete button for a while....


6 comments:

Lori said...

Just remember that there are genuine Christians out there who don't believe or do these twisted things. They show genuine repect for any government leader and don't show disrespect by spreading lies.

Bob Child said...

Thanks, Lori...very much aware of that Lori...and while one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole barrel, a lot of bad apples sure can do some damage to the good 'uns!

Unknown said...

I am surprised by how many of my friends are of the GOP persuasion. We shouldn't get along, but we do. I guess we don't talk politics, but I do get a lot of the emails you've described. All I can say is that this Earth Day I want a T-shirt that says "Time has proven that Carter was right and Regan was wrong." Or something to that effect.

Bob Child said...

You GO, Bill!

Anonymous said...

Lies and hatred only show that those pushing them are morally bankrupt. And afraid. These are verbal forms of violence, the last refuge of the fearful.

Bob Child said...

Well, well said, Nony!