Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sunday Sales Circulars....

There's just something about the Sunday paper and the ream of sales circulars that slide about every which way as you stack them up and rifle through 'em. The older I get the more aware I am of the extreme wastage it represents, and just because a company is willing to pay for it doesn't make the original resources any more abundant. Ultimately such flyers and information should effectively be distributed electronically to help zero out the waste factor...but until then the morning ritual continues, with coffee in hand (well, actually it's green tea, and a pot of it at that...).

And so the past few weeks have seen a plethora of 'back to school' sales of every sort, and every week it seems that one of the large mega-supply stores has really great prices to lure you in. Office Max was the store of choice Sunday, so I went and purchased only those items that I thought were too good to pass up....not that I really needed them...just the principle (or lack thereof!) involved.

Below is a pic of the booty haul:

1. 72-pack #2 pencils.
$0.25 each (limit 5) $1.25

2. 2-pocket folders, with clasps
15 for $1 $1.00

3. 12-pack ballpoint pens, ass't
$0.15 each (limit 5) $0.65

4. 24-pack crayons
$0.01 each (limit 3) $0.03

5. 70-sheet notebooks, ass't
$0.10 each, limit 10* $0.80*

sub-total $3.28
tax $0.24

TOTAL $3.52

(* I had 2 black notebooks in my hand at one point...a 'birdie must have flown by' and I set them elsewhere instead of my basket, hence getting only 8 instead of my limit of 10 notebooks and not realizing it until I got home and went to take the picture...)

The Grand Question yet to be answered is what I'm going to do with these things? My answer is I have no answer. Opportunities will arise to use or give away the items in a timely manner, I'm sure...the pencils will get consumed as they rank up there with socks in the dryer per 'disappearance' statistics, followed closely by the pens for second-place in the same department. I like keeping different notebooks for different creative ventures, be it flute data, art sketches, show/program designing, etc. Can't argue with penny crayons, either, if for no other reason than they cost a penny.

---------------------------------------------------

Had a couple of days off per schedule readjustment and I can't say I have a whole lot of cool things to share with you. Doc visit has resulted in an upcoming MRI for my 'good knee' which has fallen into shambles the past month and a half...I can get up in front of the keywall and do my weather schtick, but the simple act of sitting in and especially getting out of the chair has become an unpleasant affair...hopefully some relief is around the corner. Value what health you have, friends, and never take it for granted. Or as a geologist would quip, don't take it for granite. Rock on...


What's not rocking, yet, is tropical activity. The statistical peak of Atlantic hurricane activity is the September 8-10 window, just around the corner. The above map (late last night from the National Hurricane Center) shows only 1 area of prime interest for development, #2. #1 thunderstorm batch is heading west into the Yucatan, and #3 is a non-tropical low drifting southward....of course, let it go far enough and long enough and things could change, but only #2 is showing any hopes of organizing and 'doing something' down the pike. Or pickerel, but since nothing fishy is going on that won't make much sense to some...

And to completely ramble all over the map, I did start a very odd flute this past weekend that now needs only a tremendous amount of sanding, some detailing, and finishing...and you can rest assured you will not have seen one quite like it. If I'm lucky it may be finished next week, but I'm loaded with more appointments and travels in the meantime, which will limit my flute focus this week.

Time to pull some weather data and put my weather head on...been kinda nice to leave it on the bedside table for the past few days, I must admit. Happy Hump Day, y'all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,

my friends and i love your blog and we enjoy watching you here on the tube in Greeensboro,(when we have time)... we attend NC A&T State University, you can always toss the supplies our way :)
Have a good day !!! You are the bomb!

Anonymous said...

Bob, I have done the same thing when I've went shopping, even for groceries. I go in and come out with more than I need and some things I did not need at all. Hopefully, I will be taking a trip to the beach the end of next week. I wonder if the tropics will act up then? Lori

Bob Child said...

Hello, Aggies! Figured all y'all were on electronic notebooks and off the ol' pencil and paper for the most part! Thanks for tuning in! Didn't see any other 'gotta have' stuff there...certainly no A&T Aggie things. I am waiting for your website to post video of your marching band and the drumline!!!

bob

Bob Child said...

Lori, glad SOMEbody is able to vacation and enjoy it! ;-) I'd be willing to bet 'Felix' will spring up where Dean did in a day or two, but most down there looks like E to W travel and should not affect you. Good timing! ;-)

bob