Friday, February 08, 2008

"Fried Fridays: Cat Agility Trials"

This is NOT one of your weird weekly news stories that I normally write about...but I found it to be off my mental beaten path and humorously cute.

I have always been a dog person, yet was a cat-dog person for a couple of years. Suffice it to say dogs and cats are, well, quite different. Via TV, there is the Westminster Dog Show, and various Eukanuba shows in between. I love watching the breeds and the dogs...but when it comes to cats, even though there are national shows, they simply aren't shown on cable to the same extent. Of special fun is to watch the dogs blitz through an agility/obstacle course...

But the story that caught my eye is the growing popularity of cat agility trials, which struck me as a bit of an oxymoron. I'm sure cat's could do it well...if they felt like doing it at all. I just wanted to give the felines their due...

I appreciate cats...they are admittedly a very different breed of, well, cat. Cats and dogs are often a world apart in behavior and 'being', as many of you know. And while I have grown accustomed to seeing various dogs, like Border Collies, negotiate agility courses,I was not expecting to find a tabby eager to do the same...

And yet it is a quickly growing genre of animal videos, cat agility...and being amused I wanted to pass along links to help create a usable image for you...


4 comments:

mom2ahrj said...

that was sooo funny! i just love the last video where the cat was rubbing against the hurdle instead of jumping through it!
we have a cat that we rescued as a kitten when i was still pregnant with my son - when he was born, she ignored him - more than that, she simply acted as if he didn't exist - not sure if it was jealousy or what but now that he is "mobile" and not only chases her but leaves her "presents" in her bed (much like cats like to do for each other), she seems to have completely changed her relationship with him - so much so that recently i have discovered that she has started sleeping in his crib with him! lol! i've been trying to get a picture - if/when i do, i'll send it to you :-)

Bob Child said...

They made me smile,too...the middle video link is my favorite where the cat ran the course so smoothly and then said 'no' to the final jump. Would love to see that pic of your 'reformed' kitty when you get a good one!

Anonymous said...

Those videos were great. They have made my day. Catarina would not do any of that. I've tried to get her to do some things and she just sits, lays or stands there and looks like, "duh mom, what do you want? Just give me some food, will ya'?" She also does this when I try to pet her and she wants food, which is all day, basically. Lori

Bob Child said...

Glad you enjoyed 'em, Lori...I figured you would, being the cat-loving person you are. The one I had, Coal-Kitty, would never have done any of that himself.

bob