Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"Meet my new friend..."

Cilantro...
...aka Coriander and Chinese Parsley.

Before I begin, I'm well aware that we all have certain affinities for tastes and flavors, and a disdain for others. That which is one's preference is another one's aversion; with that said, I just love Cilantro. Some don't. C'est la guerre.


It's a member of the carrot family...and the leaves look a lot like parsley, and for good reason since they are related. Native to southeastern Europe, Cilantro has been cultivated for thousands of years in Egypt, Indian and China. It's touted as an aphrodisiac as well as digestive stimulant, aiding in the production/secretion of gastric juices. As a poultice it can be applied to joints with rheumatism...essential oils in the leaves are considered to be antibacterial, and can be used as a fungicide.

Today, it's oft used in Mexican, Caribbean, and Asian dishes, of course. A couple of months ago I was at a Mexican restaurant that offered their fresh salsa heavily laden with Cilantro. I was instantly in heaven and figured I'd make my own.

Now, no culinary genius am I. Where others have a Cuisinart with myriad attachments, I have a cheap Black and Decker nut chopper. With the inexpensive pricetag for a wad of fresh herbs at my local grocers, I experimented to see if the chopper would work for fresh Cilantro. Not only did it work, it did so with aplomb. $10 beats $300 any day of the week.

My salsa before I inhaled it

And so I whipped up a pile of shredded Cilantro and mixed it in with a tub of basic salsa from Costco...stirred it up, taking in the pungent aroma...and, voila, I have what Weight Watchers refers to as "zero points", a fresh salsa that has flavor to beat the band and then some.
I put if over some freshly grilled chicken for a savory diversion...used it as a salad dressing...even tasty as a solo spoonful. While it's great with chips, of course, I run the risk of undoing the 'zero points' factor by going overboard on the chips.

In the greater scope of things, we would all do well to eat more fresh vegetables and herbs, instead of cooking pre-packaged items...there is no comparison the salubrious benefits that
'live foods' give us. Yea, I am as guilty as the next one for letting the frenetic pace of life take over, averting from the minimal time and effort it takes to prepare the fresh stuff...but we would benefit by returning more and more to the 'live' natural bounty that is readily available to us in the markets.

Eat more veggies, and enjoy the warm day (here, anyway!)

No comments: