Monday, November 24, 2008

"What I did on my fall vacation..."

(click on pics to enlarge)

Outside of some detail follow-ups, I've finally finished my friend's house project. At times it was overwhelming, but like all great journeys you have to keep putting one foot in front of the other...and then make sure you don't drop something heavy on it!

Not sure I could have gotten any more in that dumpster, though. To say it was a learning process would be quite the understatement. I did things I'd never attempted before, and found all sorts of creative vocabulary tucked away in the dark corners of my brain. Carefully getting the carpet tacking strip up last week, so as not to hurt the beautiful thin oak flooring that had been carpeted for decades, has left me with hands still a good bit swollen but getting better.

These before-and-after pictures pretty much say it all for what has consumed my energies the past couple of months. First is the newer den addition and the only room without the oak flooring...

It's amazing what a fresh coat of white paint will do to brighten a space up...and the oak floors were not refinished, either...the new owner could if they wanted to, but they were in beautiful shape save for some nail holes around the edges...

I also learned that with paint it is very much worth it to buy a higher grade of paint as it really is cheaper in the long run, and less time consusming, especially if you are altering the paint color significantly...

I also learned first by purchasing, then using, then talking to other painters that Purdy brushes are the best and worth every penny. Made the work a lot easier, and there's a lot to be said for that!...

___________________________

I'm taking this week 'off' to simply rest and regroup...itching to get back to my flute work as well as blogging, my photography, and other artistic bents. My brother and his wife are at mom's this week, so I'll get to see ol' Willie Boo and Ellie Sue walking instead of crawling! Forthcoming pics to be sure!

No comments: