Monday, March 19, 2007

"Good Ol' Tulip Magnolia..."

Another year, another verification...for those who didn't catch last week's post and pics, For 30 some-odd years I've noticed that with a good bit of regularity that within a week of this lovely early bloom that a significant weather change hits. Here is my neighbor's tree Sunday afternoon...


Friday's cold front was simply incredible to watch, per surface observations. For the Triad, the going forecast had temps at 58 degrees around 4am, 45 degrees by noon, and 38 degrees by 5 pm, per a concensus of the digital model data. It was 56 at 4am, but by 7am it was 42, and by 10 am was 39....WOW...at one point there was a 22 degree difference between Greensboro and Charlotte as that front barreled south ahead of schedule by some 7 hours.

Put a whammy on that beautiful fuschia-blooming tree, too, right on cue. As AM temps dipped below freezing this weekend, it took it's toll on some other bloomers, as well, but not the mighty ornamental pear trees still exploding in their cottonballs of white. And now we have hit a quiet warming stride that will erase this memory quickly. Ah, the enchantment of Spring!

-------------------------------------

This will be a short week for me, which means a short week for the blog...I can tell you Thursday's post will be my weekly "travelogue" to the Badlands of South Dakota, in particular the other-worldly Sheep Mountain Table. I've already selected the photos to share with you from that canyon-esque wonderland...stay tuned!

I am taking Thursday and Friday off for a combination of R & R and a continuation of a long-standing relationship with a corporation where I basically serve as emcee for their annual awards night. And I dare say it's the only way I can afford to stay at a 5-star resort, as well! But I will welcome the rest and 'down time', and the weather is looking most cooperative. Last year was at the Greenbrier in West Virginia; this year is a decidedly warmer clime, as they head south to Amelia Island in Florida east of Jacksonville.

I know...of all the luck...well, somebody had to do it, and I volunteered.

I'll look like Shamu on the beach, that I can assure you...while I'm thinking about it, I'd better get some harpoon insurance ...


2 comments:

Paul Agnew said...

Not far enough south! We've got a show in Martin county on Saturday that you could almost make. Then, we're rushing down to Boca for an honest to god Adult Night of Puppetry - with naughty words and everything - where we're slated to be the big act with The GeriTones. But, alas...another time...another show.

You need to see our bit with The GeriTones, Bob. The older crowd loves them down here.
Paul

www.thegeritones.com

Bob Child said...

Thought about that, too, Paul. Haven't mailed your discs yet as the new CD is coming back from the production house in a little over a week, THEN I'll put 'em both in the mail to you. Bust a chord and a gut at your show! Saturday night is my 'work' night, anyway...maybe soon!