Friday, March 09, 2007

"Made me laugh..."

I think I was in high school when I went with my mom to Washington DC to see/hear Vladimir Ashkenazy play (concert pianist extraordinaire)...and I also remember owning a Deutsche Grammophon recording of him playing Rachmaninov Concerto #2, playing a less-often heard variation...pure magic, it was.

Rachmaninov was himself huge, in many ways...I'm a tad over 6'3", and Rachmaninov was at least that if not even 6'6"...and he had a hand spread of 12 inches (reaching a musical 13th interval!)...checked my own large paw and I can barely make 9 inches...when I got this link and watched the video, I had to laugh...didn't know what was coming...but I immediately understood why! (cut your speakers on, kids, and click this link!)

Rachmaninov's hands

I'm also extremely proud of my sister, who is a keyboard phenom in her own right. Won a highly competitive entrance to Juilliard years ago for her doctorate in piano performance, and to this day plays with a passion and precision that makes your jaw drop open and breed a colony of flies. I love you, Beth...you make us feel extremely proud and humbled.

(photo by Rita Landrum)
______________________

Well, here we are on a Friday, and the excitement is about to boil over. There's just something about 'knowing' I don't have to go to bed by 7pm that gets me going...knowing full well that at 7pm it's pretty much 'lights out' for me, regardless. As they say, "It's the thought that counts." Amen to that!

May all your weekend dreams come true...

may the wind be always at your back...

and may you always stay upw
ind from elephants...


Peace, all y'all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey bob,
that clip was very funny. He reminded me of the Great Victor Borge. Also, the travel pics were beautiful. Hope you go somewhere and take some pics of grizzlies/brown bears or orcas.

Bob Child said...

Yes, I was ready for the Borge schtick, too...pleasingly unique,this video, shall we say?! Sorry to say I have no pics of Griz's or Orcas, though an Orca-based flute is in my mental works....stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
Great video clip -- I so needed the laugh today!
(I remember Victor Borge too -- and that character and his sidekick in the video are quite the comedic talents in their own right.)
Thanks again for the laugh!
Suzy :)

Bob Child said...

Their website IS a hoot!...can't ever have enough humor and laughter in this trouble-ridden world we've created. Spread the smiles!