Thursday, May 22, 2008

6 guys named Mo'?


(click on pics to enlarge)

Yep. Mo' Flowers. Justs cleaning up and realized I hadn't posted a few shots from earlier - and it's always nice to look at nature stuff. In a prior post I showed you pics of Erect Trillium (Trillium erectum). This one is the Large-Flowering Trillium (Trillium grandiflora), whose large white petals turn pink with age...

Compare its center with the T. erectum below, which has not only the dark purple center and different looking stamens, but a beetle, to boot...

And now to the "I have no earthly idea what it is" department...hoping you readers can tell me what the next couple of flowers are. Looks like somebody planted them (as opposed to growing wild), but I'm clueless (no comments from the peanut gallery!)...

I do think this is one cool flower, especially the purple center section...

This plant had a geranium looking leaf, but, again, I've not run across it before. The flower hangs down, hence my shooting up to see it from below...


I'm always good for an abstract shot from a post-flowering Dandelion...how many a kid (and kid at heart) has picked these and blown these highly adaptive and mobile seeds!


One more day, Saddle Pals, and it's TGIF again...with a good lookin' holiday weekend overall (except maybe early Saturday). Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob,
The flower you don't know is Bee Balm - better known to horticulturists as Monarda. Grows well in the wild as well as in the garden. There are some cultivated forms that have different colors. I have a deep red one in my garden.
Abigail

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the pink one you didn't know is a columbine or acquilegia. The one you show does not look like a wild form to me, but rather a cultivated double form. The wild ones which grow in NC are likely to be yellow in the middle with red petals on the outside
Abigail

Bob Child said...

Then I'm a-scratchin' my head...they have to be cultivars, 'cause that bee balm doesn't look much like the wild Oswego Tea I know...nor the columbine, which there is the red\wild one nearby. I was told that someone at that location years ago loved flowers and I imagine they brought 'em in. Thanks for your help, ma'am!

bob