Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Sweaty palms...

Back when I had knees, in the second half of my junior year at UNC Chapel Hill, I took a semester off to hike the whole Appalachian Trail. 6 months, 2,200 miles, and scads of pics later, I still look back on that time as a magical life-altering experience. Alas, all my photos are on slides, and I've never invested in converting them to digital files, which is easier said than done...not to mention pricey, as well.

The northern terminus is at Mount Katahdin, Baxter State Park up in north-central Maine...and although the A.T. approach is from the south side (basically), there is a trail to the north-northeast I've wanted to hike: The Knife Edge.

It's appropriately named...and for the adventurer in me looks oh-so inviting for a time yet to come. But through some recent emails, I've come to realize this trail can't hold a candle to some others...

By happenstance yesterday, a friend sent a link to this video of a bizarre "trail" that in a million years I would not negotiate. How they built it in the first place back in 1901 I'll never fully grasp. "El Camino del Ray",El Chorro, Spain...click on the photo for a video that is NOT for the faint of heart:

Wouldn't you know it, but a former compatriot then sent me a follow-up link to what he says is THE most dangerous trail in the world...I will say it ranks right up there with "That Which Creates Jaws Agape" for sure. Click on the photo to link to "The Deadly Huashan Hiking Trail", Huashan, China:

From the above link's written passage comes this tongue-in-cheek thought:

"A dark thought crossed my mind - maybe they could use this mountain for a season of "Survivor". They wouldn't have to vote anyone off. Contestants would "fall off".

As well, a Taoist quote sums it all up:

"He who knows when to stop does not find himself in trouble."

With pained knees on the best of days, I have no desire to 'make good' and dream of actually hiking such trails...I can only marvel at those billy goats that do and wish them well! I won't write more since the links take some time to peruse. Marvel as I did over how someone first blazed these, uh...trails....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap ..... Despite not having any fear of heights, and despite the gorgeous scenery --- with or without a 35 lb. pack, I would not be caught dead on “El Camino del Ray” (dead OFF of it would be highly probable however, LOL!) ..... The SAFEST part of that trail actually looked to be the convex-surfaced catwalk that had TWO so-called “rails”!!

The video footage was probably sped-up for the sake of Internet posting, but did you notice how quickly and effortlessly the videographer seemed to be moving?! The “effortless” part can not be disguised --- a sure-footed “mountain goat” indeed!

Suzy :)