Monday, May 12, 2008

Potpourri Monday...

Heavens, but we've had plenty of severe weather around here lately. Before I turned in last evening there was yet another tornado warning that came NW from Lincolnton all the way across Cabarrus County and into Stanly County before being downgraded to a severe thunderstorm after crossing the Pee Dee River.

I was on the road a lot this past weekend, and in coming back east via I-85 Sunday, around Gastonia, there were an incredible number of wrecks within a stretch of 1-2 miles, with traffic badly snarled. Some good rain had recently fallen, and there are always obnoxious speeders and tailgaters along that interstate stretch on the best of days...don't know what happened, but it looked like two seperate chain reaction wrecks with cars and trucks sprawled all over the roadways and down into the woods, and myriad emergency vehicles in attendance.

Luckily I know the area well, and got off on a side road through Ranlo and Lowell and got around both scenes with relative ease. And just before Exit 26, nearing Belmont area, there it was on the right (which caught me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it): numerous large hardwood trees, snapped off in the middle and laying towards the interstate. That was ground zero for the tornado that hit around 230AM last Friday, prompting a last-minute warning. That 'night' I was sitting in the Triad weather center with Matthew East and Jeff Crum as we were getting ready to change shifts - Matthew had already had an exhaustive night with the Triad tornadoes earlier...and while Jeff's night was much quieter, we saw the Charlotte warning pop up, almost after calls about damage were starting to come in from the Mount Holly area...and Jeff went to work live on-air, with no other TV station covering it. Kudos to those Kings of wall-to-wall weather!

Hope all had a good Mother's Day, regardless of the weather. Found this cute list of things a Mom would NOT say...and I'm sure we could add 10 times as many to it! Enjoy ~

1. "How on earth can you see the TV sitting so far back?"

2. "Yeah, I used to skip school a lot, too"

3. "Just leave all the lights on ... it makes the house look more cheery"

4. "Let me smell that shirt -- Yeah, it's good for another week"

5. "Go ahead and keep that stray dog, honey. I'll be glad to feed and walk him every day"

6. "Well, if Timmy's mom says it's OK, that's good enough for me."

7. "The curfew is just a general time to shoot for. It's not like I'm running a prison around here."

8. "I don't have a tissue with me ... just use your sleeve"

9. "Don't bother wearing a jacket - the wind-chill is bound to improve"

10. "Here are some freshly baked cookies; It's close to dinner, though, so if you fill up on them, I'll just cook you another fresh meal tomorrow."

No comments: