Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Stylin' protection, I say...

I played around with a couple of shots of my little niece and nephew, adding dry brush strokes in Photoshop. Ellen and William looked adorable in their big plaid hats with upward curled brims, covering their eyes wide with wonder. Gotta have that sun protection now that the sun angles are higher, especially on such tender skin...and you might as well do it in style!


It has been many moons since I've laid out in the sun. Setting aside the health concerns, it's just something that has never appealed to me. A nap in a grassy shady glade by a creek is more my speed. We all should know (if we don't already) that skin cancers are on a rapid increase, that getting tans from the sun or a tanning bed prematurely ages and dries out the skin, and that it pays to protect your skin (and eyes!) with appropriate sunscreen and sunglasses. It should be common knowledge and sense.

People pay good money for SPF 45-50+ lotions, when in fact the 'added' protection compared to SPF 30 is negligible. SPF 15 blocks 93% of UV rays, and SPF 30 blocks 96%. You start splitting hairs above that level, which simply isn't worth paying for. And when you're out for a long period, you should reapply blocking lotion every couple of hours, especially if you're sweating or in and out of the water.

Lots of us don't think about our eyes needing protection, but they are just as vulnerable to types of UV light. Next time you go buy a pair, take the time to read the tag to see what and how much is blocked. You don't have to pay crazy designer prices, either, as many drug store ones offer perfectly good protection.

Ah, hats. I've never been a hat person, though I don one on weekends when I haven't yet had a shower and head out on errands...or when I'm working outside with tools. They provide worthy protection from the sun, of course, but they make me even hotter than I am naturally. Wearing a hat in the winter will conserve a lot of body heat that naturally exits your head, and in the summer I want it to! For as much heat as my body produces, you'd think I have a high metabolism and be a bean pole. In my dreams.

And so you're reading this and wondering 'where is he going with this?', and the simple answer is 'nowhere'. El and Willie looked too cute in their hats not to post 'em, and I have energy only to ramble this morning. Most times I don't much focus on the end of the road...I just enjoy the Journey along the way, wherever it leads me.

I just wish it could lead me back to bed right now...!

No comments: