Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Buffaloed by it all...

Yesterday, just when it looked like all was smooth technically at work...I have known there would be that little voice in my head say, "You ain't seen nothin' , yet, FluteBoy!" So I'm pulling extra duty and doing Charlotte-side shows for the mid-day...pulled up a show to edit...put it in preview and checked all the timing and pause points, etc...then when at the wall actually doing the show, the frames would run right through the pauses, or the show would skip entire graphics, or jump back to the start...I was indeed 'buffaloed' by it all...but that's not to confuse me with Buffalo Bob...
...so I would pull up the offending frame, turn off the pause, then turn it back on, and it worked...replay the show, and a different frame or two would disappear...it was enough to make me pull my 'hare' out...

I was hopping mad, to say the least...maybe, though, no bunny cares...maybe I shouldn't either..maybe I should pull a Chuck Howard (heh, heh, heh...!)
For those that aren't familiar with the long-time and widely liked veteran sports chief at WCNC 6, he was recently, uh, fired for an innocent mistake that many, many make in this biz. He was taping a segment for re-broadcast, made a flub at the end, and after an expletive said to tape it again...which he did...only something went horribly wrong and the flubbed tape aired the next morning, not the corrected one. And, well, the rest is TV history now.

If one of my tainted segments aired from yesterday's mind-numbing taping consternations, I want the record to show that I do great handyman work, year-round...

(photos: Buffalo cow and calf from Custer State Park, Black Hills, South Dakota, April 2005; creeping rabbit, not a hare from Wyoming (though it could be anywhere); Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody from their website)

No comments: