Friday, September 29, 2006

A moment to reflect...

Yeah, I'll admit it's been a long and trying week launching the new station and working with a gazillion bugaboos and haints...but what a lovely day Friday has turned out to be. Tech issues were minimal and dissipated quickly this morning...and I left feeling good about the end of the week and the cool weather. On the way home, as city traffic goes, I witnessed inexcuseable driving maneuvers and childish but dangerous road-rage-ish reactions...one car (who was at fault, in front of me) threw a cup of liquid into another car's open window simply because they honked at them...that sort of thing that depresses you about some 2-leggeds we have to live and deal with...


And yet...and yet, as I turned down the cul de sac toward home, all calm and void of people....there right above me was a beautiful red-tail hawk, wings spread wide against the blue sky and lit by the sun...and above and beyond was another...and another...and another...probably as many as a dozen raptors circling in the thermals and breezes. Ahh, yes, the migrations...they have begun. Probably Broadwings, Cooper's, and more were all a part...it was enough for me to have seen them, smiled, and taken a deep breath. As I parked and got out of the car, I heard only the familiar cry of that red-tail, obscured by the trees, but close, nonetheless. The migrators had angled out of view, but I had the picture I needed in my heart. It's Friday. Keep Life in perspective. Aho!

(Photo: while the scene I saw was much like the photo, the pictured red-tail was one I photographed in South Dakota last year; hawks and I get along real well...)

No comments: