Tuesday, May 29, 2007

"On The Outside Looking In..."

"Mother Nature is wonderful.
She gives us twelve years
to develop a love for
our children before
turning them into
teenagers."

- Eugene Bertin


No, I've never sired offspring, but I've been around enough to have a pretty good idea of a lot that is involved...and I'm sure that 'idea' is woefully short of the actual mark. Still, couldn't help but to chuckle at the above quote...

This past weekend I attended a wedding where I didn't really know anyone directly...while the bride's family had hired a photographer for the wedding, they were aware that I, too, used to shoot weddings, and asked if I wouldn't mind shooting some fill-in candids, or something to that effect. It was an odd situation, to be sure, and because it was a 'loose' arrangement (and pro bono), I didn't kill myself getting a few good shots.

With that said, I have to pass along some snaps of this cool little dude...I don't know him, and I don't even know his name, but I know he's about 3 years old and full of non-stop personality and energy, and lives in Florida. I know his dad is on a Navy ship somewhere in the world, and that his mom with him had lots of tatoos. Whose idea it was to not only give him a mohawk but to also dye it orange is something I never discovered...or really needed to. He was one precocious little bugger in spite of it.

So I got to people watch. With my bigger digital SLR I have a 35mm-350mm zoom that allows me to get up close and personal from a pretty good distance (digital format factor makes it a 560mm zoom)...and so I couldn't help but watch this little thespian from afar as he prepared to walk down the aisle. Oops, forgot to add that he was the ring bearer for this wedding, too...

Needless to say, he was the star of the wedding for the most part. For all of his prancing and personality before the wedding, when it came time to line up, well...he started a very different tune. The chin went down...he began to shuffle his feet...he raised his right hand and pretended to rub his right eye as he and his flower girl began their procession...and it only deepened on all fronts, all to the oohs and aaahs of the attendees. Once up front he proceeded to hit the deck and amuse himself looking back at everyone. Oh yeah, a wedding went on behind him.


And so the interesting afternoon and evening fared on. The outdoor setting was lovely, with a fountain right in the middle of where everyone was sitting. The day before someone had taken some magnolia blossoms and floated them in the fountain, for a pseudo-lilly effect...worked pretty well. While I was seated waiting for the show to get on the road, I couldn't help but shoot between the heads of those in front of me and get some artsy pics of those blooms floating in the spray. And so I leave you with a really cool pic that draws me to look at it again and again...I ran it through a simple filter in Photoshop called "accented edges" and created this painting-esque shot from my photograph, which was otherwise unaltered. Goes to show that there is always something to be seen and appreciated at every turn...

(remember, you can click on any picture to enlarge it)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the "L'il Charmer" KNEW he was the center of attention! :)
And the little flower girl's just "pleased as punch" to dress-up like that!
LOVE the magnolia blossom and the "effect"!

..... and yesterday's "Dogzilla" shot reminds me of the "Mr Bill" segment on the original Saturday Night Live, where the little clay "Mr Bill" meets his demise week after week after week!
"Ooooh nooooo, Mr Floyd, oooooohhhh ..... !!!!" :(

Suzy :)

Bob Child said...

Oh, that little boy KNEW, alright...and at the reception he was one little pistol, non-stop...in a good way, mind you!

Gosh, forgot all about Mr. Bill! HA! Escaping Dogzilla was fortunate...I hear if you get between it and a squaky toy that you run the risk of losing life and limb...or at least getting nice long red toenail scratches on your arms and legs...!

Survivor Bob