Friday, May 04, 2007

"What A Difference A Day Makes..."

I'll always here that soulful version from the late Billie Holiday milking that song with her oh-so-bluesy vocals...

"What a difference a day makes....
24 little hours...."


Of course, the song goes on to say,

"Brought the sun and the flowers
Where there used to be rain..."

OK, so we've got that part reversed per our weather now, but what a glorious fresh, cool breeze we had yesterday and even this morning when I got up at 1 AM...ideal, to me. Those easterly-northeasterly fetches off the Atlantic really can change things around in the temperature department.

Starting this past Monday, our highs at Piedmont Triad were 86, 91, 88...then yesterday morning at 9:17 AM the high of 70 was reached and from there slowly but steadily dropped. With a nice little classic CAD event (cold-air damming) in the northern Piedmont and Foothills in full swing today, we may well hold around 59 degrees for today's not-so high reading.

I'm working a rare Saturday shift this weekend, both double markets and double shifts for the Triad and Charlotte News 14 operations, but will get Monday off as replacement...suits me as I need to do some woodworking outdoors and there will be no rain chances Monday, unlike Saturday.

For some reason I woke up with another song going through my head...starting back in high school, I got hooked on a capella singing with a barbershop quartet...and when I went to college at UNC Chapel Hill, I joined with the (then fairly new) Clef Hangers as a baritone for my college years.

One of our favorites to sing was a tongue-in-cheek ballad we sang slowly and with feeling yet with a straight poker face..."Secret Love", a song Freddy Fender helped popularize many years ago...so like all good creative college kids someone came up with a unique twist on those lyrics, which I leave you with today...


"Once I had a secret love,
She wore a nylon negligee...

When our night of love was through,
She said I did not have to pay...

When I asked her why her love was free,
She said Sealy Mattress sponsors me...

Last night, we were on Channel 4,
Now my secret love's no secret...anymore."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, Bob!! :)
Gee, you guys would have come in handy when my college friends and I would try to make-up parody-lyrics to the fight songs of the other schools in the conference!
Ah college days! ..... those were good times with very little "real world responsibility" yet! :)

Suzy :)

Bob Child said...

Ah yes...THOSE days...*SIGH*...'real world responsibilities'...another *SIGH*...like finding out just today that after taking 3 days off from work earlier this week for surgery that I was denied the third day and have to take it as vacation...que sera sera!!! Among other things...