Wednesday, May 09, 2007

"Simply Fasten-ating..."

I'll be the first one to tell you I love the basics...the need for fancy and foo-foo and the next latest and greatest has simply not been a part of my purchasing habits, though in certain circumstances I will buy quality or a more sophisticated product I can grow into, given a particular situation. Might be better said that I buy for solid functionality as opposed to reasons of simply status or brand-recognition.

With that said, you can argue that all you need for home security is a good deadbolt and a good hiding place for a spare key outside somewhere for emergencies...assuming you return said key when you use it, lest you have to break into your own home as a last resort (not that that's ever happened to me...not more than, uh, 3 times a year....I don't think...). But I'd seen either some ad or some program on TV that involved a keyless lock, and, long story short, I just made the switch...rather, just installed the switch, yesterday.

Heavens, but there are options and variations out the wazoo...had to wade through (and learn about) a lot in the process...there are even doors that read your fingerprint to activate the dead bolt, but that's a little pricey for me....and didn't have the user-options I was looking for...

The basis for my purchase wasn't just that it is easy to work without a key (though it is). Suppose I need a neighbor to put a package in the house...or let Mercy out...or have a family member or friend come by that might beat me to the house...all kinds of options. This lock allows you to set various secret codes for access without having to reveal a 'secret' location of a key somewhere. If it were an emergency, I can give someone the code and then change the code once I get home...or if it's something planned, I can set up an alternate code for them to use, for one day or every day. Very convenient, depending on your household activity, and very easy to reset, uh...at the touch of a button, literally (I think you can assign up to 6 codes at any given time).
The model I went with has a key override as a back-up...it also uses a 9-volt battery (inside attachment) good for 3 years with a more than ample low-battery warning...and it easily installed where a regular deadbolt already was. You can get fancy handles, myriad styles and finishes, etc...and accordingly, pay a wide range of prices. Only one type of model was offered by my local Lowe's and Home Depot, which didn't really have the features I was looking for. A quick Google search will yield many good companies, and I happened to have chosen GoKeyless.com and got superior, fast service at a great price.

No longer do I fumble with my key in the dark heading to work at 2am...I press one button and turn the deadbolt...done...the lock cylinder then free-spinning and disengaged...when I come home, I hit the code and the deadbolt will once again engage to let me open the door. A very functional investment I wish I'd made a long time ago.
-----------------------------------

Tomorrow's travelogue is a fun one...gotta make sure I download my video that goes along with it to YouTube.com this afternoon...stay tuned!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, very cool, Bob! I need to look for something like that, as there are countless times when I'm coming home after dark (even at 9:30p or so), with one armload of groceries and my tennis bag and work bag slung over the other shoulder, all the while fumbling in the dark for my house key and then fumbling THAT in the lock ....
"perfect time" to be accosted by a stranger ..... UGH! Hope that NEVER happens .....
Thanks for the GREAT info!!

Suzy :)

Bob Child said...

Your example was a good one...with that armload in the dark, this is how it would work: hit the large button at the top and the keypad illuminates a bright blue; press in your code; turn the deadbolt/knob and go in; flip the lever on the backside to secure the door immediately once you shut it. Quick, safe, and easy. When you leave it's even easier as you hit only the large button, turn the deadbolt, and head on your way. The more I use it, the more I love it...glad you found it useful!

Anonymous said...

very useful information. I hope that one day apartment complexes use these types of locks. I think it would be a lot safer and cheaper since many charge for coming to unlock the door for you when you lose your key or lock yourself out. With a keyless lock, all you'd have to remember is a code.

Bob Child said...

If a door already has a 'typical' deadbolt lock, putting one in would be very simple for you to do; of course, you would have to ask permission from the management, and they would have to know the code or have a key for the override per their regulations. If you could buy it and put it in yourself, you could keep it and take it with you to your next abode, saving the old one for replacement. Asking doesn't cost a penny!

Anonymous said...

Already asked management about using keyless locks. They said no because the tenant could change the code.

Bob Child said...

Bummer...