Thursday, May 10, 2007

"Travelogue: May 11-12, 2005 Snow, Rapid City, SD"

Talk about your wild nights...I was working my usual night shift at KEVN Fox 7 when we had a bona fide late spring snow system upon us...complete with thundersnow, which for the uninitiated means unusually heavy snowfall in lightning and thunder....and it wreaked havoc for thoseof us trying to get off the mid-city ridge where the TV station was...I, personally, had to get a ride with someone in a 4WD vehicle since mine was NOT going to make the slushy passage...

At daybreak, after the heavy wet spring snow outbreak, the scenes in Rapid City were gorgeous if not surreal, considering it was May and not January....most locations in Rapid City got 9-11 inches of heavy wet snow...

...and yet, it was beautiful beyond words, this placid stillness in May, juxtaposed against the vast greenery that was out in full force, including flowering foliage. Unfortunately, with such foliage and flowering well in progress, the sticky snow made the branches too heavy, and through the night you could hear the loud "craaaaack!" of trees splitting or distant "kabooms!" from transformers blowing out...aside from the power outage issues, it was a glorious 1 to 2 hour window before the May sun began its melting power...

Since I'd gotten a ride home, my car was stuck up on the ridge just 3 miles away...I trekked through my neighborhood early that morning and snapped these shots...

When you have the right apparel and gear something like this is a novel idea for some unusual fun...of my (then) 2 pups, only Mercy wanted to get her paws snow-soaked in it all, hence inspiring my 'line' in the video I've posted on YouTube.com below...

Even the fence looked formidable in that heavy wet accumulating snow...again, within 2 hours of sun-up the melting had begun in earnest, forever erasing such scenes as the fence above or the branches below...

Mercy thought it was all the coolest thing since sliced bread....

You could immediately tell the good drivers from the bad...that was painfully obvious! Eventually that afternoon, I got a ride to the station and resumed my normal duties and got my car home safe and sound...

As I sing in the video, "that here in May it can look like December...!" A-HO!!!

Oh yeah, the video link...one of my more 'creative' ones:
Bob's Rapid City May Snow video from 2005

It's my only non-flute-playing video postcard, though I played and sang the 'music' to it...adjusting the lyrics to fit the scenes...enjoy and send it to others! It was TOO much fun to create to keep it hidden!

"There's (s)no(w), business like snow business like no business I know..."


No comments: