Monday, June 11, 2007

"Are The Felines Mutual?"

Back to work time again, and not led any particular direction in which to blog early this morning. Broaching the whole Paris Hilton fiasco would be like taking candy from a baby....oh, wait a minute...

...but I did 'stumble' upon what is a 'majorly big thing' in cyberspace that you should know about if you don't already, and simply from the standpoint of "yeah, I've heard of 'em" in water cooler conversation. That's about my level of knowledge and involvement, but at least after reading this we can pretend to be hip. Or not.

LOLcats. Kitty pidgin.
Basically, words added to animal pictures...but apparently more.

I'd seen examples but just not really understood the phenomenon (and still don't, really). The idea is to take a cute picture of kitty and add bad grammar to it, or more of the truncated and unique grammar found in the emailing and blogging world. In itself that is is like the Cliffs Note version as there is supposedly a 'right' and 'wrong' way to go about "lolcatting".

I won't profess to go into more detail...just figured I'd post some of the ones that made me chuckle or smile...

...which is always called for on a Monday morning...

Here's hoping you have a purrfect day, and that you don't have to put up with too many catty remarks...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the funny animal pictures. Kind of reminds me of the translation problems with a popular video game some time ago.

Explanation here...

And you can't forget the fridge!

I will admit I find cat pictures with captions like that wildly entertaining. :)

Will

Anonymous said...

IM ON UR BLOG

WRITING U A COMMENT

Bob Child said...

PAWS R US!

Anonymous said...

Cute pics and comments!

But I'll admit that I haven't "caught on" to whatever this phenomenon is, nor do I participate in it! As a person who does an enormous amount of verbal and written communicating "for a living", I spend more time trying to decipher co-workers' cryptic text-messaging and e-mails, than if they would just leave me a lengthy, detailed voicemail!!
Maybe this is the beginning of my "generation gap" with the early and mid 20-somethings that I work with ---- I just can't relate to their ways of written communication! (sigh)
Is this the way the world is going ..... ? Am I getting "old" ..... ? (sigh)

Thanks again for the cute pics though!

Suzy :)

Bob Child said...

MAY B BAY B UR NT HIP TO JIVE WITH CHEEZBRGR KITAYS! Yeah, I know, don't try to be who you're not! HA! I do have to admit some of 'em grow on me after a while. I didn't even get into the whole "Cheezburger" line of talk...YIKES!

Anonymous said...

2 cute 2 B 4gotten
Lori

Anonymous said...

Yeah, see that's what I mean (your first sentence), that's like the kind of "short-cut correspondence" I get from my co-workers, only MUCH more cryptic --- and I have to "stare at it" at least a couple times to comprehend it,
God, call me "slow" or something, but I just don't see the attraction of using abbreviated words and poor grammar on purpose ..... sorry. But apparently, that's what's accepted and expected anymore.
And honestly, I don't even know what "Cheezburger" is.

Bob Child said...

I didn't know the 'Cheezburgr' thing either...learned only from researching my links! That which is 'real' will last, that which is a fad will fade. Putting captions to animals can be fun, but I have way too many fish yet to fry to venture down that road! I NO U CAN RL8! ;-)