Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"Holdin' your tongue just right..."

Tom Higgins is a renknowned outdoor writer here in the Carolinas, and in one article (many years ago) he had gone to an Outer Banks pier to check on fishing activity...only to find most everyone empty handed except one older woman sitting on a bucket, who had a nice catch gathered for eating.

Tom went to interview her and ask her what her secret was to catching so many fish when most were catching only bug bites. She was silent for a moment, thinking the question through, then slowly and calmly drawled, "It's all in how you hold your tongue."

Amen to that. Working on live TV, you only hope you always hold your tongue just right, lest you say something on air that is worthy of much scrutiny, even if done so accidentally. And so it was Tuesday morning I created a new word for the English language, a word that just 'came out' early in a sentence...what is fascinating is both a) how quickly it all transpires, and b) how your brain slows it down into huge chunks of time for your brain to decipher and make decisions about what to do next, maybe even running a couple of scenarios through the mental cobwebs. An odd juxtaposition if not marriage of two things which run counter to each other, all in the blink of an eye.


I do 3 'live' cross-talks with an anchor, tossing to full-screen weather maps for a discussion of the day's anticipated forecast. I simply wanted to say the phrase
"isolated afternoon storms"
...that was all. Been saying it all morning. No biggee.


So imagine my surprise when I opened my mouth and instantly recombined syllables for a more concise description and called them

"assolated storms"
...boom, there it was, 'out there' before the teeth could stop it, and I immediately decided to take the Energizer Bunny way out and keep going and going and going...and making sure I didn't look at the anchor or listen to his chortling.

And maybe it played out to sleepy people getting ready for work that did nothing more than cock their heads sideways and muse, "if I didn't know better, it sounded like he just said 'assolated' storms...", going on about their day of matching up socks and packing a briefcase.

Stuff happens. Life goes on. I amused myself, and I usually do. If there is one excellent gift you can give yourself, it would be the gift of discarding your self-pride and ego so that you can laugh at yourself and your own foibles, graciously, and willingly share them with others for a good chuckle. It is wonderful medicine, and is very 'freeing', as well.

---------------------------------

Tomorrow is Thursday, which is my Travelogue posting day. I think I'll keep you in the Southeast this week, more specifically up in western North Carolina atop one of my favorite places to go: Table Rock, on the eastern rim of Linville Gorge. It was just last fall, with fall color aplenty to be had...and unlike now, relatively clear skies for nice distant views. Come back tomorrow, pull up a chair, and enjoy that beautiful destination (which is relatively easily gotten to, I might add.) You'll be safe inside your own home or office, and protected from any assolated storms...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the morning laugh Bob! You have to love when that type of thing happens. Brain gets ahead of the mouth as I call it. I can only imagine how hard it was NOT to look at your co-workers to see if they caught it.

Which brings up a question. Do news stations keep media of bloopers to look back on (for the segments that aren't live)? I would imagine it would be a great source of entertainment!

Have a good day!

Will

Bob Child said...

Taped and live segments, they're all recorded, Will. We call such bloopers "making the Christmas Reel" which is generally shown (privately!) at the end of the year Christmas party...well, for those that have them (we no longer do). In fact, just last week Monte and Heather were in the main studio, with Monte going over the weather maps from the next room...when the cleaning lady went into the studio, hooked up the vaccuum cleaner, and began going back and forth in front of the green keywall...she had NO idea he was live in the main studio using the maps through the weather center keywall! It was HILARIOUS! Ah, but who knows if it will ever get outside of our hallowed halls???

Anonymous said...

Great commentary on being able to laugh at oneself, Bob --- so true!

Good for you though for trying to "keep a straight face" and continuing on! When I've gotten my tongue and teeth tied-up in the middle of giving a presentation --- and realize it! --- I just start giggling! Whether it's a room full of 25 people or 250 people, it's all the same to me. I suppose giggling at my own gaffes isn't too "professional", but it sure does lighten the moment, and I feel a lot better! :)

Oh gosh, and I love the story of the cleaning lady in front of the green keywall --- TOO funny!! Poor thing, her "1 minute of fame"!! (She supposedly has 14 more minutes coming to her, according to Andy Warhol! Look out, weather team!)

Suzy :)

Anonymous said...

Yes it is good to be able to laugh at yourself when you get the "tongue ahead of brain" problem.
On the subject of bloopers, I'd love to see those! I am curious as to whether the former Chief Meteorologist at News 14 did any bloopers. I was/am a big fan of his. Looking for more rain today, hope we get some. Lori

Anonymous said...

Bob,

my wife and i moved here from Pennsylvania a couple of months ago, we love the Greensboro area, your blog is full of surprises and a lot of fun, keep up the great work ! NEWS 14 should be honored to have you aboard !


Dan and Sherry of Greensboro, NC

Bob Child said...

Thanks, Dan and Sherry. Look, I have no idea if 20 or 200 people read this...I have this inner drive to entertain myself and come up with something that might picque the interest in others...thankfully, sounds like some are finding it worthwhile, like yourselves! Welcome to the area, and stay tuned!

bob