Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"Of Storms And A LOLdog..."

What an unstable air mass Monday afternoon and evening...one severe thunderstorm warning after the other kept popping up like the famous "Whack-A-Mole" game at the state fair. I made some periodic home radar grabs from the Triad, as well as an afternoon grab from the Charlotte market which had a tornado warning in the mix, as well...(click to enlarge any pic)...

Above is a mid-afternoon shot from GSP radar covering the Charlotte market...the pink polygon is a tornado warning due to rotation aloft...the red polygons are severe thunderstorm cells...at the same time, well to the north through the Triad region was this image below as the atmosphere got crankin'...

...and since I had so many irons in the fire before going to bed, I left the radars up a while and made these grabs before powering down...

This one had a nicely developing cell in Forsyth County around 6pm....

..and then this image from 6:48pm...a little intensification on the outflow boundary from the Forsyth cell, eh?!...but wait, there's more...

...only 22 minutes later there was this image, where I HAD to quit watching and get some sleep...4 simultaneous warnings, and I'm sure it only got better...

(7:20pm)

And so it is we early A.M. meteorologists can only watch and go to sleep, knowing our P.M. couinterparts' tongues are dragging from the intense coverage...such is the beast of afternoon and evening weather in the Southeast some days, most without the benefit of an extra body to help back you up...

-------------------------------------

In follow-up to yesterday's post on LOLcats, I took a picture I had of Mercy and made a LOLdog, just for your viewing pleasure...

I know, I know, don't quit your day job, Flute Boy...don't worry, friends, not yet...not yet...!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good radar grabs! I am hoping Concord will get in on some rain today. Only a trace yesterday. :(

The words with Mercy's picture are actually pretty funny!

Better than her saying...

"Im in ur house, sheddin my furs"

:)

Anonymous said...

First LOLcats, now LOLdogs?!

Well, there's also LOLpresidents!

Bob Child said...

Didn't know what else to call it! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful caption for that pic, bob. You really "hit the mark".
As for the weather, we got only one fairly good thunderboomer, after which the cat came in so I could do one of my jobs: dry her off. Then, a few hrs. later, we got a good rainshower/no thunder.
Lori

Bob Child said...

Thanks, Lori! Only a few cells are popping in the mountains, but I would expect a rather rapid blossoming in the 2-3pm window...maybe today is the day for you to get a decent rain! Escaped most of it myself, yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,


Your blog rocks !! what a variety, hubby and i check in daily. To Monica : the LOL presidents is too funny !

Bob Child said...

Thank ya, uh...thank ya, very much! Never know what topic will shoot up out of nowhere...scary to realize that's how my brain works!