Monday, June 04, 2007

"Loose Ends" kind of day...

No doubt we rejoiced here in the Southeast, thanks to what was an instantaneous tropical storm Friday afternoon, Barry. The rapidity with which it went from disorganized low all the way to TS status was a bit jaw-dropping, and hopefully not a sign of how volatile such storms will form this year. Just a nice rain-maker for the Piedmont, but at least most of it fell at a steady rate ideal for soaking in and not running off. Sure, a few boomers made for locally heavy rain, but it was a nice cloudy, cool, showery, windy day that felt good to be out in. Sorta. Because my Triad market has no live body to do weather the first half of Saturdays and Sundays, yours truly gets the nod if we need to have one...which is okay from the standpoint that most days I work on my flutes outside, and if the weather is that bad, I couldn't do that anyway, and most likely my earned day off will be a nice one.

On my
way home, I decided to run some errands, one of which was hitting Wal-Mart. In a word, 'mistake'. Sunday afternoon there is like an opened Pandora's Box. Just too many people, with more 'miss' than 'hit' stocking issues. I start each day swigging a giant can of V-8 juice (or off-brand), and I needed to grab some...but there were only 2 cans period, and they were severely dented (I don't buy severely dented cans - not a good idea). They are literally one half the price there compared to grocery stores, and when you buy 6 cans that's an extra $10 I can save (or pay). Bummer. It was also plain hot in that store. Nothin' like getting overheated in a crammed WalMart full of people that have lousy vision beyond the end of their noses. I suppose, though, the overwhelming feeling I came away from that visit was "What is it going to take for 'society' to understand how badly overweight and out of shape we are, collectively?". That will have to be a blog discourse for another day, I'm afraid...

Speaking of hot, we've already had a couple of 90s days, and more ahead the end of this week...Mercy was starting to shed, and her yak of a Border Collie-mix coat, which begged to be removed...never done that to one of my pups before, not even my husky Kita years ago...but I know she feels better...even if she looks a little embarrassed! While she's not a skinny as she was running around out in the Black Hills, I was relieved to realize that a lot of her bulk really was her thick coat, as this pup eats surprisingly little . I remove my coat and, alas, I don't get similar results...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, WalMart OR Target on a Sunday (especially like 1p or so after the church-lunch crowd descends on the place) --- REALLY "bad plan", but what are ya gonna do when you need something and time is an issue .....
I've fallen into the "Target trap" on a Sunday afternoon many times, only to remind myself again and again "damn, I coulda done this another day!"

And the mighty Mercy girl looks GOOD!!
1st pic: You're kinda getting the "evil eye" there! :)
2nd pic, she's like (grumble, grumble) "What were you thinking?"
3rd pic, (resigned), "Well OK, if you must, it DOES feel better!"

Suzy :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a precious looking little girl. That middle pic. looks as if she is saying 'I'm tired, hot and you are taking a picture of me?'