Thursday, June 21, 2007

"Travelogue: Railroad Buttes, South Dakota"

Welcome to Railroad Buttes in the middle of nowhere east of Rapid City, South Dakota...out in the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands... Many years ago there were old railroad beds that ran nearby, hence the naming of these marked buttes; because they are part of a National Grasslands, there is full public access.
The Buttes are known for many things, including agate/geode caches, as well as myriad ATV and off-road motocross trails...
Thankfully I had the place to myself and my (then) two pups...it was humorous as the two dogs ran far out in front of me, they made a large circle and eventually bypassed me to head back to the car, which I'd learned to leave the tailgate in the up position with a water bowl...for this very reason that they forever knew where their 'security' was...
So I made the hike up onto the Buttes 'sans chiens' and marveled at the endless views amidst the 40 mph wind gusts (tame by some comparisons there)...
I knew of the interesting geologic finds there, but I went just for the solitude and peaceful time, in an area that's equidistant between the Black Hills to the west and the Badlands to the east.
While the area is frequented with motorcycles and ATV's galore, I was pleasantly surprised to have none cross my path as I hiked up and around Railroad Buttes on that windy spring day...
Anytime I was anyplace in that region, I tried to picture what it would have been like there hundreds of years ago...the tribes, the scenes, the views, the animals...there is a rawness there...
Directions were pretty easy...just go west of the Rapid City airport to some bend in the road...you can see the Buttes off to the south...easily gotten to on a public gravel road, dusty as it was....
Click HERE to go to the link for my video postcard on Railroad Buttes that I recorded with a mid-G drone, making it sound like a wailing train whistle at the start...
This is one of those classic places off the beaten path where tourists try to hit the regional highlights and don't bother to research the secondary sights that are equally enriching...in a way it's their loss....and in a way I'm glad they bypass it...
Railroad Buttes. Forget the ATV and motorcycle. Go on foot and relish the raw beauty and nature of western South Dakota...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures and I loved the video postcard. You sure do play the flute good. It really did sound like a train whistle at the first. Lori

Bob Child said...

That particular drone is one of the most responsive drones I've ever made; with the slightest of breath changes I could get the second 'drone' barrel to go between its low and high octave notes quickly, back and forth. Alas, one of those which I let go of and wish I had kept! I think it's still at Featherheads in Lake Lure.