Friday, June 01, 2007

"The Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake"

I was alerted to this annual rite through a story I'd heard on the BBC radio early one morning on my way to work this week...in the odd overnight hours, NPR radio often kicks over to the British Broadcasting Corporation for news and insights...and when I listened to this particular interview and article, I knew I had to research this rather unusual sounding event for myself on-line...

Basically, it's called Cheese-Rolling, and it takes place on the incredibly rough, steep but grassy Cooper's Hill in Gloucestershire, UK (the slope reaches an incline of 1 in 2 places, which means if it goes 10 feet forward, it goes down/up 10 feet, as well!). Most will agree it has been going on for hundreds of years, while some believe it to date to Pre-Roman times.

The present Master of Ceremonies Rob Seex
- dairy farmer of Upton-St. Leonards


Regardless, in each of several races, a 7-8 lb. wheel of cheese is released down the steep knoll of Cooper's Hill, with madmen and madwomen chasing in hot pursuit... doing all they can to stay on their feet but overwhelmingly failing to do so along the way, tumbling mercilessly, endlessly...first one over the chalked line wins, no matter how you get there. With the cheese hurtling up to 70 mph, it's more of a one-way demolition derby for the human body.

And what does the winner recieve? A wheel of cheese. As much as I love cheese, I do believe I'll use my debit card to get some.

For those of you looking to conquer some of Life's odd challenges, the 2008 dates is Monday May 26, high noon. Below, you'll find some video links that give you a 'taste' of what the event is all about...


News-type report (event overview): VIDEO

Good spectator footage: VIDEO



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes! Self-hurtling humans ..... there's something very "wrong" with this picture!
The 2nd video is the funniest --- frame after frame, people are flailing themselves elbows-over-ankles down this hill (and the cheese has LONG AGO reached the finish line)!

Thanks for the good Friday morning laugh, Bob! No, you wouldn't catch me doing this either! (But in a "twisted" (pun intended!) sort of way, it's just too darn much fun to watch!)

Suzy :)