Wednesday, November 21, 2007

CAUTION: Fowl language ahead

Turkeys.

Chickens.


Big chickens.

Canada Geese.

Mallards.

Been a while since I posted, of course...had a few days off and, well, got out of my daily rhythm of 'stuff' and took a few days off from writing. I actually spend a good bit of time on my entries...as you can tell so far, that's not the case today!

Dusting off the cobwebs getting back into the swing of work and forecasts and big changes ahead in the short-run. Already there's 'talk' of some sporadic sleet or freezing rain late Saturday up in the mountains of NW NC and SW VA....which could include a small part of Surry County. Sunday may be our first 'cold wedge' or CAD event (cold-air-damming) as moisture from the west overspreads a cold pool off the eastern flanks of the Blue Ridge. Cold showers for the Triad proper and nothing more...but tell-tale of the season ahead.

From highs in the 70s today to just the 40s for Friday, there's gonna be a whole lot of wardrobe swappin' goin' on. I'll definitely have to add a long-sleeve shirt and maybe even wool socks with my shorts by Friday...

Made a LOT of sawdust the past few days, and will share some of the 'stories' that came to pass around particular flutes...like my first ultra-high A-flat that is a quite playable 6-hole (heretofore they've been only 5-holers), and a "phoenix" of a flute that was successfully renewed, even if I do say so myself. That's all coming up in later posts.

So tomorrow is the big Turkey Day, where 99.99% have no idea what really went on back in 1621...or should I say most have ideas that are erroneous. Regardless, family and friends will gather for good times (hopefully!), and it looks like at least some rain will fall and add to the "thanks" list.

I also mulled that Thanksgiving Day seemed a little early this year, and did a little scratching for info I guess I knew but had forgotten...info like...

1. Which President suggested a day of Thanksgiving be observed annually, nation-wide?

2. Which day did the above president suggest it be on?

3. Which day is it now celebrated on?

4. Which President made the change to the present Thanksgiving Day calendar and made it a 'fixed' national holiday?

5. Which president in which year held Thanksgiving twice?

5b. Why?


A1. Abraham Lincoln

A2. The last Thursday of November

A3. The 4th Thursday of November

A4. Franklin D. Roosevelt

5. James Madison, in 1815.

5b. I have no idea.

What prompted the above info was my realizing there are 5 Thursdays this month, with tomorrow, the 22nd, being the earliest possible Thanksgiving date (the November 1 was on a Thursday). I trust you will now be able to more soundly sleep at night.

Thought I'd be writing a bit more, but this will do it for today's entry. Safe travelin' to all y'all.

No comments: