Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Travelogue: Crazy Horse Memorial, Black Hills, SD"

Apologies for this temporary format - swamped by weather work and other technical difficulties, as well as a flute performance later, so not sure when I can spend the time to write my normal discourse for blog posting....

These are my pics from the Crazy Horse Memorial in the Black Hills of South Dakota, a well-known destination for tourists and locals, alike. When completed, the 'sculpture' will dwarf Mt. Rushmore only a few miles away.

Because I don't have the writing time, I've got a few links for you if you want to read more:

Crazy Horse Memorial

(Tuh-SHOON-kah WIT-ko)
"Crazy Horse"

I don't even know where to begin on how to impress upon you the importance of this warrior to the Lakota Nation...the purpose of the sculpture, direction of his pointing, etc. is tied into the quote below. Too, not everyone, including Lakota, thinks this is such a worthwhile endeavor. You have to wonder if Crazy himself would even approve of it. Personally, I do not favor such alterations of nature, no matter the 'message'. I simply don't care for the Stone Mountains and Mount Rushmores of this world. I do like their 'vision' of a college to be built there, however, and the museum displays are absolutely wonderful.


Video Postcard link



Lots of neat sculptures and excellent art/museum displays abound throughout the modern buildings at the Memorial...

Where Crazy Horse is buried no one knows...though I have a strong feeling that a rare few elders in a secret Lakota group may have a good idea. In itself that's not imporant. Another giant among the Lakota was Black Elk, Hehaka Sapa...his quote below a worthy one...

No comments: