Wednesday, November 07, 2007

"A Patriarch's Passing..."

George Osmond passed away yesterday in Provo, Utah at the ripe age of 90 years old. His wife Olive preceded him in 2004. The couple's offspring were born with worlds of talent in each of their fingertips. The Osmonds. Donny. Marie. Jimmy. Et al.

You may not be aware that he and his wife formed the Osmond Foundation...which later became an organization I think we have all heard of, going strong today: The Children's Miracle Network, a non-profit fundraising group for children's hospitals.

In good Mormon fashion, he left behind 9 children, 55 grandchildren and 48 great-grandchildren.

Can't say I was ever a big fan of the Osmonds...just not my cup of tea growing up, but I certainly can appreciate their talents. In scrounging around I found some vintage footage I thought you might enjoy...four of the young boys in a barbershop quartet...little Marie...fashions from an appearance on the Cher show that, well, you'll be glad to see fell out of style....

Young Osmonds in barbershop quartet

Sing karaoke with little Jimmy

Young Osmonds in Swedish special
(with appearance by a little Marie)

Osmonds as "Fashion Plates" with Cher

Bonus time! In scrounging around, I came across a group I'd never heard of singing a fun a capella number I actually had heard of, "A Flat Tire"....sung by The Dallas Boys in 1963. Enjoy!

The Dallas Boys - "Flat Tire"

No comments: