Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Travelogue: Lead, S.D. 1994"

Well, I've basically exhausted my good travel photo files, and of late haven't been taking many shots...scraping the proverbial bottom of the barrel. At least for this Thursday's post I thought you'd like to see a little bit of snow from the Black Hills of South Dakota...one of those "you'd better be careful what you wish for!" kinds of things. Part of a record setting year for snow, I might add...


These are not my photos...a viewer whose name I have long since forgotten had brought the photos by the station for me to scan and use.

To set the stage, Lead (long 'e' as in leader) rubs elbows with the more famous Deadwood in the northern reaches of South Dakota's Black Hills. Very colorful history, Deadwood, made even more infamous with the so-named HBO series. They are known for notoriously monster snows, and these pics came from one of those dumpings back in 1994.


In fact, the 1993-1994 winter was the snowiest on record in Lead, totalling 364.7". They annually average close to 193" as it is. That's a lot of snow to be living in.

Think Snow! Heck, Think Precipitation! This is no time to be picky!

No comments: