Friday, November 02, 2007

"Fried Fridays: Man's Best Friend....well, uh..."

Oh, trust me...when I first heard this story I thought "There's my 'Fried Fridays' entry this week...". To be fair, I wanted to scout out other odd stories to see if it was my best choice...

Let's see...robbers in Athens, Greece attempted to rob a store clerk, en route to a bank at night, by throwing giant bags of ketchup on the windshield of his car so he couldn't see to drive away...


An elderly Chicago couple got to stay in a $1,600 per night penthouse for $10, because they responded to a contest by that hotel: if anyone stayed there more than 50 years ago and had the receipt to prove it, they can stay the night for that price. As many octogenarians are, being a packrat has its advantages...they had the receipt, and their grandson paid the $10
fee for them. Ah, sweet bliss!

No, I had to stick to my guns, so to speak, and go with the Pooch with the punch. James Harris, 37, of Tama, Iowa, was doing what many folks in the northern Plains states do this time of year: hunting pheasants.

Oh, trust me, pheasant hunting out there is huge, and a sacred ritual with many. A group of the ol' pheasant chasers was hunting near Grinnell, Iowa...typical good time in that fresh midwestern air...someone downed a bird and James Harris just happened to be the lucky one to go pick it up.

He had to cross a fence to get to it, so he naturally laid the gun down while he made his way through the fence. No q
uicker than you could say "What about the safety switch?" did one of his dogs step on the gun and shoot him square in the leg from only 3 feet away.

To the tune of 100-120 pellets in a 4-inch circle in one of his calfs, I might add. Sounds like the dog is a better shot than most hunters, yea, even criminals. A spokesman for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources reported that Mr. Harris was doing well as he recovered at University Hospitals in Iowa City...all things considered. Thankfully, no one else was injured, including the dog.

Surely there is a joke in there somewhere, but I don't feel like retrieving it.

Of course, I guess it could have been a lot worse. He could have been hunting with Vice President Dick Cheney on the same trip...



No comments: