Thursday, January 24, 2008

Americana: Church sermon signs

I have no idea where this blog idea came from...my brain is random, and I just go with the flow...

When you think of things uniquely American from days gone by, there are some archetypal icons that stand out...and beyond your 'hot dogs, baseball, apple pie, and Chevrolet'. Small towns with white picket fences. The Drive-In. Cold-war bomb shelters. But I digress, per usual.

Church signs came to mind. Posting Sunday's sermon on a mini-billboard in a way that draws attention. Maybe too much attention. Maybe none at all. Some are plain, some are plain scary, and some are quite clever and funny. The signs are omnipresent in the states, and in this day of digital file sharing, I figured I could find some pictures of the more humorous ones to make a blog with.

I searched. I was not disappointed. Surprised, yes, as you will soon read...remember to click on the pics if you want to enlarge them:












I found some signs that were not quite believable, as you might expect...and then I discovered that a lot of those were fakes. Like the one above, obviously. I found a website where now you can have fun and create your own church sign and save it to send to someone...kinda fun to play around with. All you have to do is follow the instructions below:


Amen.

No comments: