Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Oh where, oh where has my...."

Been a wild 6 days for the ol' work schedule with wintry threats. After yesterday's marathon shift I woke up this morning to find my get up and go had gotten up and gone...and I haven't the foggiest idea where it is.

I think it had something to do with my 7 consecutive hours of live weather coverage that when all was said and done encompassed 46 forecasts totaling 101 minutes.

Yes, you may correctly assume I get tired of hearing myself talk.

Once in a blue moon there will be a grueling day or storm system, and many at News 14 have had even harder periods, no doubt. Luckily I had a can of lentil soup at work, and it tasted incredibly good straight out of the can! (Epicurean palate have I...)

It can get humorous, too, all that 'live' work...your head gets so full of technical data and numbers and towns and roads and closings and such that you suddenly realize any and everything can come out of your mouth before you know it...and you won't see it coming, either. I'll get so involved explaining a situation that I forget to look at my clock (we time ourselves out), only to suddenly realize I have 3 seconds before getting chopped off. Instant deer in the headlight look. Or I'll be going over a detail in a map that when I look back to the camera I realize I got clipped seconds earlier.

Mud-brain happens, what can I say.

I should add yesterday morning was complicated by one of my classic allergy attacks that started just before 5am. In the world of medicines that are supposed to calm sneezing, itchy eyes, wattery noses, and such, I've tried 'em all at one time or another. The one absolute sure-fire medicine that works every time for me is basic pseudoephedrine, which thanks to the world of meth addicts has been altered. I'm glad control of it has helped reduce the spread of that dark world. On the other hand, labs quit making the white 60 mg tablets that were my favorite. The time-release version doesn't do the trick, so I'm left with the smaller red ones. All that to say that was part of my fray out of the gate. By the time that tie came off, I could have taken Rudolph on in a red nose contest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I feel your pain, Bob --- the whole 9 yards of it!

Oh, and hey "Rudolph", I think THAT was the bus that knocked me on MY arse with a good old-fashioned headcold from Hades! Got myself so run-down, that I got myself "run-over"!! :)

Suzy :)