Wednesday, January 09, 2008

January???

I don't know about you, but I've rather enjoyed the extremely mild weather the past few days, knowing Winter has a great deal more to throw our way. For yet another day severe storms and tornadoes plagued the central states, with most activity focused in the lower Mississippi and Ohio River Valleys where the atmospheric battlegrounds were drawn between air masses:

(click pic to go to page with more report details)

As is so often the case, the SW to NE running Appalachian Mountains do an effective job at breaking up such incoming systems, hence our being rather protected in our tepid SE pocket. High pressure has been sitting on the SE coast recently, as well, making sure storm systems are largely detoured around the Carolinas.

That protection is costly in terms of lack of rainfall, of course...and don't hold your breath for much from this front today. Wait for it's cousin Low to spin up on the stalled boundary on the GA/FL border and immediately return clouds and showers to us Thursday into Friday morning. Mo' better rain chances.

Sunday into Monday continues to be it's own forecast wild-card with 6 heads. Colder air, more precipitation brought in from the Gulf and Atlantic...somebody somewhere in North Carolina could get some snow if the timing comes together optimally.

----------------------------------

I was talking trash to somebody the other day. Literally. It was late Monday afternoon and I went out to put my car windows up for the night, and the recycling truck was making it's rounds far later than usual.

I think it's fair to say most of us would not want a job where you're handling dirty trash all day, and the noise of clanking bottles is enough to do my sensitive ears in. This truck puts the reyclables in one of 4 bins, then has the arm go up and dump them in their partitioned area, so the operator (works by himself) has to stop, get out, sort the materials, dump, and then move ahead.

And so I thought I'd go up and talk to the poor man, and I say poor because it was a very late day already and he had a long way to go yet...at a time when most of us are preparing supper and getting ready to plop and rest. I wanted to know how I might make his job easier by sorting items in certain ways, and which was more beneficial and efficient. He could not have a been a nicer, at-peace guy, and he gladly showed me the process and how he has to do his job. As we were talking his phone rang...he thought it was his boss, but it was his wife who was just wondering when he might be home and that she was fixing something easy like tuna fish, and he was smiling saying that was fine...

I thought here was this really nice man that most people ignore because of the 'trash' stigma...and it gets me to thinking of the numerous people we purposefully avoid for whatever reason...but when you engage someone in conversation, you build that bridge of humanity that can really surprise you, and help you understand more fully how we are One and not separate from each other.

I took Mercy in for her coat-reduction shave yesterday, which was at a location along a greenway park trail. I took my lovable shaggy yak for one last little walk and 'duty' before taking her in to the groomer, and noticed in every single person I saw/passed in that 10-minute period not one smile, not one eye contact (ok, there was a quick glance and a nod from one), and not one verbal response to my "hi's". Rather sad, really, how withdrawn people can be...I imagine many are a bit distrustful and fearful in public places, or maybe they just like being within their own walls. Such a contrast to meeting Mr. Recyclable the day before.

I muse a lot in a given day. Plenty of robotic human 'doings' out there, and far fewer human 'beings', so it seems. Long live the friendly warm-fuzzies of the world!

No comments: