Friday, February 19, 2010

"Fried Fridays: This isn't rocket science..."


I grew up listening to a variety of music, including older Elton John albums (yes, real vinyl!).  "11-17-70" was one of my favorites because there was so much pure piano work in it, sans orchestra.  Good ol' piano, bass, and percussion, unleashed.

Quick trivia question:  How many grooves are on one side of a standard 33 1/3 rpm album?  One.  We now return to my trip down memory lane....

"Honky Chateau" was another album that had many a needle track through its groove. Some jazzy, bouncy tunes like "Honky Cat" got played more than others, but I knew 'em all by heart.  One slower song therein, however, left me wondering where the idea for the lyrics came from...until now.

DATELINE: DETROIT, MICHIGAN

"And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home,
Oh no, no, no...I'm a rocket man....
Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone..."

At 62 years young, this identity-withheld adventurer has an annual winter party in Independence Township, a celebration highlighted by an unusual if not stupid stunt he whips up.  

Back at the first of February, he did not disappoint.

His recipe for excitement was rather simple, really:

one 62-year old fearless body
one motorcycle helmet
one orange snow sled
one auto muffler turned into a backpack
unknown amounts of gas and gunpowder
unknown amounts of alcoholic beverages
one person to light his wick

Our "Indiana Jones turned Rocket Man" thought his guests would get a bang out of this project.  He filled the muffler with gas and gunpowder, strapped it on his back, and before he shoved off downhill on his Orange Peal he had someone light the muffler's wick.

Do I really need to say anything more?

Miraculously, he is alive, with burns and injuries, as you might suspect.  Just a wee bit of an explosion part way down the slippery slope, that's all.  I also hear he's up to seeing visitors and has been moved to Room 207, 208, and 209...


No comments: