Monday, September 08, 2008

The bipeds are bipedaling...!

Willie Boo and Ellie Sue are officially mobile, going everywhere like cicadas on a 17-year hatch. My brother sent me some darling pictures of my niece and nephew, and when I saw this first one I got a good laugh. Great shot for a Monday!...

I'm often asking myself 'Which way is up?' as it is...and a change of perspective can be quite a good thing...given his location, his footwear was most appropriate: sand-als. By looking at other pictures in the sandbox, I surmised he really dug being in there...

A lot of the pictures came from their lake-escape vacation where the dynamic duo had unlimited fun around water as well as at some area attractions. A particular petting zoo/farm location apparently provided many "moo"ving experiences...William and Ellen are simply out-standing...no, really...

And what better thing to do after a fun-filled day than to take your favorite sippy cup and drink heartily, while the eyelids droop with the setting sun...

If only we could all remember to live our lives as simply...

----------------------------------

Ike sure is causing problems. That will be this week's weather gossip buzz, where it heads once it gets into the Gulf of Mexico later this week. At this time the 'best guess' 5-day track takes it in the direction of the TX/LA coast, regaining strength from it's well-frictioned run over Cuba the next couple of days. No direct NC connection is expected, though, not for this week. Of course, answering the big question "where is the hurricane going?" reminds me of this one gorilla joke...

Q. What does a 900-pound silverback gorilla eat?
A. Anything it wants.

Hurricanes don't go anywhere they want, but they are significant masses that if powerful enough can defy the best of odds and 'do their own thing', even against the best of prevailing models. Pass the bananas, please...

---------------------------------------

I attended a memorial service Sunday afternoon, held for a friend's elderly mother who lived a rich, full life. While I was expecting a nice service, I wasn't expecting to hear what I heard in the 'special music' selections that began out of the gate...this rich, bass-baritone voice from a pianist who played and sung popular hymns, blending the vocal styles of jazz and Negro spirituals like nobody's business. I'm tellin' you what...sent goose bumps up and down my flesh to hear his versions of "His Eye Is On The Sparrow", "Oh Happy Day!", and a couple of others in a medley that escapes me.

John Leon Lewis
. Wow! Thanks for your gifts...


-----------------------------------------

This week I'm filling in Monday through Wednesday for Monte Montello's evening shift in the Triad weather center. The weirdest thing is I haven't been awake at 11pm in years, and to update Ike (et al?) I'll be up to midnight before I get home and even think about going to bed. Wish me luck! HA! Something tells me to be prepared to see flashbacks to "The Twilight Zone"...


No comments: