Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Do you tweet? Hoot? Hum?

Finishing up my last day of a 3-day run pulling the evening/night shift for the Triad weather office. Heretofore I'd never worked this shift, and there is a distinct learning curve to certain aspects of the shift, namely in the array of graphics to use and how you have to phrase 'things' to be viable in the overnight hours...you can't say 'today' or 'tomorrow' as that segment will play both time periods...and so I have to really think about how I need to alter my delivery.

On my good ol' early AM shift it wasn't an issue...you had the whole (same) day ahead of you. But the biggest adjustment is all of a sudden having to be fully functional at 11pm after 3 years of never having done that...and it is not easy, not easy at all.

I'm a hard-core "Lark", no doubt. Morning person by any and every classification. I wake up quickly well before the sun without an alarm, and go to sleep not much later after it sets. I can churn out large volumes of work and creative ideas before noon, a whole day's worth, leaving the simpler more 'rote' activities for later in the afternoon. I am not an early morning exerciser, though (except for taking Mercy for her woods walk lest she give me 'The Eye').

Most data says that 1 in 10 of us are tweeters (Larks)...and that 2 in 10 prefer to hoot (Owls), staying up easily to and past midnight, waking up slowly and late in the morning, if given that luxury. That leaves the majority of folks in the middle zone that hum (Hummingbirds). They can adapt in either direction fairly easily. I suppose the past few days I was trying to be a hummer (since I know I ain't ever gonna be an owl!), but my success has been marginal.

You can imagine how difficult it is for an 'owl' to work a 'lark' shift, and vice-versa. Studies point to a genetic influence that makes us 'that way', and the key is to understand it and try to live in harmony with our natural make-up instead of working against it. Improved health is but one of the many benefits of living on your own perfect rhythm clock.

Speaking of clocks (sorta), if you have a working Rolex in one hand and a broken watch in the other, which holds the most accurate timepiece? The one with the broken watch. A broken watch is exactly right twice a day, where the Rolex never is, technically. Oops, a birdie flew by.

I'd best get up and get going as I get to be a Lark dressed in Owl clothing shortly.
Tweet-Hoot, y'all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am quite the Owl. I don't see how Larks do it. I wish my job had hours from about 11pm to 8am. Would be a dream for me. Hope you keep adjusting to your new schedule!

Will

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely not a Lark. I'd say I'm a cross between an owl and a hummingbird, but more of an owl. About Mercy giving you "the eye", yeah, my cat does that, too. Sometimes, that look can be quite creepy. Lori

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lori, I am a hybrid between an owl and hummingbird. If I were king no one would have to get up before 8:30 a.m. Mornings should be enjoyed slowly while drinking coffee and reading blogs... Alas, I am not king.

Bill

Bob Child said...

Thanks for your input, Will, Lori, and Bill...with my myriad schedules the past couple of weeks, I think I've become a Larkhumowl for the time being (which means that a 'normal' night's sleep for me remains a holy grail!)

bob