Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Too good to be true?...

How does that old joke go?...something about trying to get the truth out of somebody, and one way to do it was to make them wear one shoe size too small...

If the shoe fits, wear it. And if you really like it, find a good deal on it and buy another pair for later.

Some time ago, out of necessity, I became a New Balance convert...with my myriad and long-running knee issues, and the fact that when I was doing weather I could wear tennis shoes with my suit because you never saw my feet, I've always been looking for a shoe that provided me the most comfort and support, at a hopefully reasonable price. I practically live in 'em.

Years ago I was a NB 991 fan...fantastic shoe, and then one year NB 'upgraded' to the 992. Ask anyone that knows anything about that line, even NB store clerks, and they'll willingly tell you NB screwed up a great shoe. It simply was worse in many ways. And so I migrated to the pricey NB 1222 and then the 1223...

while there was significant comfort, it was anything but comfortable paying for a pair...and so I began looking around again. Good ol' discount shoe warehouses...I found one delightfully comfortable (in fit and price) in the NB 645, which is a nice wide-base shoe that fit the bill. Add a quality insert and I was good to go. Been in 'em for several months and have been a happy camper.

Heeding my own advice, I went on-line to see if I could find a really cheap price on another pair to store for later when these lose their cushioning. Wasn't long before I came across a pair at Sears on sale...medium widths only in sizes 11,12, and 13, the latter of which I sought. $30 plus shipping, half of what I paid for the first pair, and I must admit the service was lightning fast and efficient.
Within a few days the box arrived.

I was a bit proud I'd done such a good job of shopping, which I'm known for doing anyway...and so I took the box to the sofa, musing how light it was, opened it up, and....deer in the headlight look, to be sure...

"Crestfallen" came to mind. So did other words that were far from printable. These might have fit me when I was 4 years old...

I went back to the web page to see what I missed the first time around, and the only thing that let me know these were kids sizes was the following line in the small print description at the bottom of the page:


"An adult feature, laced athletic shoe perfect for your boy..."

*** sigh ***

In this case, it was too good to be true. Back to the ol' cyber drawing board go I
...

No comments: