Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Uh.....

So much for a few overnight flurries and snowing just a 'hair'...


(~3:45am)

1-4" of snow blanketed much of the Piedmont by this morning, with the northern Piedmont having more of an issue late yesterday. The NC mountains are working on close to a foot of snow in the higher elevations with wind chills around minus 20 this morning.

While I'm 'off-duty' weatherwise, I can say from my cursory look at data that this one sort of blew up at the last minute...I do remember early models last week suggesting this snow, then it disappeared outside of the flurries that were forecast.

There is one significant difference in this snow and the last one: the temperature trend. Last time the roads were in great shape by afternoon as temperatures climbed above freezing, but today's issue will be the icy patches on roads that really won't begin to disappear until maybe late Thursday. The unusually cold snow is light and fluffy, and prone to being quickly packed to ice on the roads...this is a good day to hunker down if you can.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Hair! That's it. (Now I know fur shur you got my toe/tow thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, wasn't the snow beautiful? I sure was surprized when I saw it was so much. Surprizes like this are the best kind.