Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What to do when you're 'stuck'...

Yep, I'm officially stuck...in a bit of a momentary, mostly mental mire.

Indeed, I'm floundering...but I'm not doing it for the halibut. It does seem a bit fishy that I can't catch on to an idea that's alluring to me. It all makes me feel crappie. Certainly not swimmingly. Almost like I'm back in school.

Normally I'd be bream-ing with a cast of ideas and witty lines, perched and ready to type away in a flash, like the way Salmon Rushdie used to do (he got grilled for his Satanic Verses book). But the past couple of days everything just seems to be bass-ackwards, as they say. Can't seem to find topics to fly with, even though I constantly float them by.

Thought I might plug a book, "How the Colorado River was Stopped" - it was dam good, full of literary efforts that held water. But that spawned off other ideas, all of which didn't flow much of anywhere. My normal river of ideas have slowed to a trickle...my net results have been, well...let's just say the 'big one that got away' never even got close to the boat. I did see a troll, though...under a bridge...but that would be over your head to explain it further.

Maybe I'm just not 'hearing' the ideas...maybe I need to get a herring-aid. I wonder what Marlin Brando would do. Maybe I need to bail out of this lame littany of bad puns that smelt in the first place, chums...

(are you waiting with baited breath?...)

Get reel...these can't go on forever...even if you are hooked on puns...

...although I was just musing fishermen in India truly belong to a cast system...

Alright, I've reached my limit...catchy weren't they?

OOPS. Oh well, a 'fine' way to end this pain and suffering...



------------------------------------

The colder weather isn't helping much as I have a lot of wood work that needs to be done outside, but when you switch to the orbital palm sander you have to forgo gloves as it's important to feel the wood as you work with it. All semblance of feeling disappears in about 10-15 minutes when it's only 41 degrees outside.

And yet the birds are certainly starting their pre-spring singing...the Silver Maple in the front yard has it's characteristic red leaf buds fattening up. The days are getting a little longer each day, and March is only 6 days away.

I've not filled in at News 14 in quite some time, so outside of those bodacious thunderstorms a week ago when I pulled 'em up in 3-D for personal enjoyment, I've not looked at any models for what may be ahead. If you've lived in the Carolinas for any length of time, you're well aware that "March Madness" not only refers to the basketball hoopla (I'll quit, really) but also to the very volatile weather mechanisms.

Polar and sub-tropical jet streams start to duke it out for dominance, and with the warmer sub-tropical air coming in from the south and southwest, airmasses can hold much more water vapor then. When you get a really cold snap with a topping of a southern storm, you get the ol' Reeses factor: chocolate in your peanut butter, or peanut butter on your chocolate. Potentially big snows and, on occassion, killing freezes after the plant kingdom reaches the fragile blooming stages.

For now, all seems pretty quiet. Maybe I'll take a gander at more data soon, but as anyone who knows me, I'm not a 'weather-head' kind of person. Right now I rather resemble the Peanuts character 'PigPen' as clouds of dust poof off of me with every step I take. After some morning errands, I'm starting on some inlay work on a few flutes. You might like to see pics of the stages as I do that, but it's hard to take pics of me actually doing the work since I was not born an octopus. I'll see what I can do.

Check in later, if you dare...!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you weren't born an octopus????? ...............SUCKER!!!!!! thought id arm myself with that joke to get a leg up on your humor before you start to clam up.

dave

Bob Child said...

Geez, what took you so long to respond? ;-) I was trying to stick with fish puns but I sea you were shellfishly trying to change the subject.

bob