Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Something ornamental fer ya....


Here are some preliminary shots of some experimental stuff I was working on for this weekend's show...I had the idea of scroll sawing Poplar from Lowe's into a set number of designs for ornaments that are 4-5" tall.


Easier said than done....

I finally figured out that the edges needed to be painted FIRST, not realizing that, of course until I had painted the main surfaces of 80% of the pieces...20-20 hindsight goes a long way! Anyway, I sacrificed a regular sponge to a pair of scissors and cut up a dozen small pieces, arbitrarily selected compatible colors to sponge on a palette of colors on the main faces of the ornaments...still plenty of fun! If I do say so myself, the ornaments look a lot better in person than spread out on trash bags in these photos. All that's left to do is to take my mini drill press and put in the holes for hanging.

Click on any pics to enlarge, as always...first up are the howling wolf designs...


Next are the Pueblo Eagle designs from their pottery...


Bear energy comes in the form of Medicine Bear and Hunting Bear...Hunting Bear has a head that sticks straight ahead, where Medicine bear has a bowed head, like the ones below....the other are simply horse head designs that, due to breakage of bad design patterns, made for unique pieces!.....


Ya can't have Native Southwest degins without including Kokopelli! Between the stone-type patterns of brown and black, I decided to use turquoise and purple for some others...


I blogged yesterday that Molly (new puppy) helped me out and actually made her own ornament...I was really proud of her for her unique artistry, as seen below...


What more appropriate verbiage than "Molly's 1st Christmas" for the custom Kokopelli version?! As they always say, you can pretty much turn lemons into lemonade in most situations!

No comments: