Monday, January 04, 2010

A little bit of overkill...


The world of advertising and making sales while you gain potentially loyal customers is an ever-changing one, what with the explosion of the internet and on-line sales. Fast, accurate service is what I expect, and one company I use a fair amount never disappoints: Craft Supplies USA.


They had sent an email early the morning of December 30, with a flat 15% off any order just for the day. Since they are my chosen supplier for most of my inlay materials, I remembered that they recently offered a new powdered stone that was basically white, or the next best thing to it, Magnesite. I've seen artificial substances for white inlays, but I liked the idea of true crushed stone to be in my arsenal of color selection.

I ordered a bag, and given the economies of scale in shipping charges, threw in a couple of oft used materials I work with regularly, Turquoise and Malachite. 3 little bags. 3 little expensive bags, granted, but the 15% off got me to order that afternoon.

Lo and behold, the box arrived Saturday January 2, even with the holiday break...they are fast and accurate, which I appreciate. However, I was left musing about the incredible waste of materials and space used to mail such tiny packets, with evidence below...

The box measures 7" x 7" x 4.5"....certainly not a huge box....


...but upon opening it I found a sea of inflated packing bags...


...with my minions in the bottom (and the receipt which I'd removed).


I tried to make the three cover my whole hand, but they didn't quite do it...


...and just as I was trying to shoot a David and Goliath comparison shot, Molly stuck her face in the picture. The exposures herein leave a lot to be desired, but the last one was too cute not to include. Luckily, she did not also grab a packet and run off with it, one of her new favorite games...

I guess big companies ship in assembly line fashion and it's easier for them to use even something so ill-sized for the order at hand. A padded envelope would have done swimmingly, of course. In this day and age of environmental awareness and recycling, I just wonder why such practices go unchanged.

Stay warm and well...I would say my usual 'This too shall pass' but this cold pattern is locked in the midwest and east for a good while yet. I'm feelin' the excitement....NOT. :-)


5 comments:

Lori M. said...

Yes, isn't it amazing and strange how they package things? If they packaged a little smaller, then the S&H price would not be so high-go figure.

Bill C. said...

Love it! Consumer Reports has a "Black Hole Award" section on the inside back cover for just such things. You should send these pictures to them. Maybe you'll get published!

Bob Child said...

Amen to that, Lori!

Bob Child said...

I thought the same thing, Bill...first page I look at in Consumer Reports is that back page with the goofs and such! May well do that!

Suzy said...

While I agree with all the comments above, the ridiculous and really unfortunate irony in this country is that while a padded envelope is almost 100% biodegradable AND recyclable (depending upon the material used for internal padding and whether the external substrate is coated paper stock or not), the air-inflated packing bags are actually cheaper to manufacture.
(Still doesn't say much for using such a large box and multiple air-packs for 3 small items though, does it?!)

And the REALLY sad irony: it's likely that BOTH types of packaging materials are manufactured overseas.
What a country, eh?? Grrrrr ...

Suzy :)