Thursday, January 04, 2007

"Calling All Computer Sleuths!..."


OK, the 'floor' is officially open for suggestions...you can bypass the 'comments' option and email me directly at:
The latest scoop: Peppermint Swirl
The latest 'issues': Saved over files off of 'saved' C drive, so they are safe. To review, two years ago I added a 160G hard drive and ran it as the slave drive next to the original 80G drive that came with the computer. Upon that installation, the computer created C, D, E, and F drives that I just lived with...
The in-store save that rebuilt my XP files did something else, as I discovered yesterday when I went to back-up files onto my external hard drive: D and F drives were gone. Too, I have 7 USB ports, of which I know 2 are high-speed...the external hard drive 'claimed' none of them were high speed anymore...I've checked and re-checked.
OK, now this gets good...files saved, I have nothing to lose but use my proprietary restore disks to wipe the drives clean and reinstall factory programs and settings. Long process, loading discs and programs from scratch. Hard drive went back to the original 80G drive with C and D partition. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 160G hard drive...nothing. Computer does not 'see' it no matter what I do. Reinstalled software for it. Nothing. Doesn't exist on the screen. I also get the same message from the external that no USB ports are high-speed. So all this after starting from scratch.
Soooooo......I ask all you sleuths to throw in your three cents worth (inflation) as to what's going on....totally dead 160G drive? A damaged motherboard? Both? Is there a simple tester I can buy and use to quickly check?
Now...(uh-oh, here it comes)...a mental "left-turn at Albuquerque" that Bugs Bunny was always making. Thinking of 'sleuth' it reminded me of my teaching days at Woodberry Forest School. Since I find the English language chock full of built-in humor, I would have my science students take a day and try to create science jokes. And here is one I created that I rather liked...of course, it helps if you have a science background...

Sherlock Holmes and Watson were slowly making their way through a scrub forest in a thick nighttime fog, looking for a missing stone mason that they had good reason to believe ran into foul play nearby. They were about 50 feet apart, walking in silence...when Watson suddenly shouted, "Sherlock, come quickly!"

As Sherlock approached, Watson started muttering very quickly over what he saw...the man was on the ground, face up, and had been cut open down his belly, with his stomach and intestines piled on top in a heap. "Sherlock, what do you make of it?" he asked.

"Why, it's alimentary, my dear Watson..."

(insert groan here)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1st off I would update the BIOS. On the 160GB HD was it wiped? if so was it fdisked and formated? Are the jumpers correct on the drives? Try putting the 160gb on the main controller? Why partition the the smaller drive unless you want the os files on the main partition and swap file on the other. I would keep the small drive one logical and the larger split if needed.

Bob Child said...

Thanks, Lee...had someone write earlier today and, long story short, I unearthed the 160G and reformatted it, so it is up and running and now identified in BIOS (wasn't earlier). USB and CD/DVD bays are still running sluggishly...I'm really new to the BIOS stuff, and though I've learned a lot not sure how to set anything...so I'm knocking down the huge issues one by one...many thanks for your input!