Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Leakey Legacy and Olduvai Gorge...

Louis and Mary Leakey started a rather impressive lineage of family-related fossil discoveries in 1959, unearthing an early hominid fossil in Olduvai Gorge, East Africa...better known as "The Missing Link" in evolutionist theory.

......................... Louis and Mary Leakey (L); Richard Leakey (R)......................


That's all I wanted to say about them. You know what they say about paleontologists, don't you?
They really dig their work...



So I get home yesterday after a nice hour-long workout at the "Y" on a cross-trainer, blowing off some holiday sludge, go get Mercy for her daily woods romp, then sit at the computer to begin a back-up to my external hard drive so I could then reformat my internal hard drives with my proprietary software to solve my ongoing on-screen warnings issues and 'do' my reinstallation right...(I just love long sentences poorly written and constructed, don't you?)

Ah, yes, the "Leakey" connection. No, I didn't go "bone up" on Australopithecus afarensis (couldn't resist that one)...but I did quickly realize that my computer had gone blind in one eye, creating my version of "The
Missing Links": going into 'My Computer', instead of finding my original C,D,E, and F drives (2 internal drives partitioned once), there was only a C and E listed. D and F are nowhere to be found. None of my USB ports are recognized as 'high-speed' to my Maxtor external, of which I had taken the software and reloaded just to be safe on the backup. After waiting 15 minutes, the computer finally started communicating with the hard drive and is pulling over select files at this time...may be doing it at high-speed anyway, don't know.

Point is, according to the adage, "It ain't over 'til the Fat Lady sings!" As far as I'm concerned with what I've been through so far, the Prima donna, is backstage at intermission spritzing her throat with Chloraseptic spray. She ain't done, not by a long shot. Are the drives missing because of the non-Sony XP file repairs? Is the 160G slave drive the one with D/F drives, and has it rolled over dead? Am I dealing with a motherboard that has one foot in the cybergrave? Ooooh, the excitement is simply overwhelming....NOT.

Okay, to lighten the day...the above fossiliferous discussion has prompted my brain to start skipping through the daisies...


A skeleton walked into a bar and said, "Hey bartender, I'd like a beer...and a mop."


Three vampires went into a bar. One stepped forward and asked, "Bartender, do you serve plasma and blood here?"
"Sure, pal, what'll ya have?" answered the non-plussed libation master.

"My two friends here would like a serving of blood, and I would like a serving of plasma," smiled the fanged Count.

"No problem...Hey Jim, I need 2 Bloods and 1 Blood Light!!"


I can only assume the vampires, upon being served, said "Fangs a lot!" Bet it was just their 'type' of drink, too...suited them to a T, er..I mean, an O, er...I mean an A-negative, er...uh...I'll stop while I'm behind...

A mild-mannered snail slowly entered the bar and spoke up to the bartender, "Hey, I'd like a whiskey down here!!"

"You know we don't serve snails here!", retorted the bartender...and with that the bartender picked the snail up and threw him across the street.

11 weeks later, the snail came back in the bar and yelled, "HEY, WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?"

Are not tomb robbers involved in skullduggery?


Enough for now. Moving at a snail's pace at the moment, enjoying escaping my responsibility to get in to work in a timely fashion. Have a good 'un, y'all!

No comments: