Monday, January 29, 2007

"The Secret of Successful Speeches..."

So many times this hits home, be it for a speech, a literary effort, or any effort that involves an audience or a public: it's not WHAT you say/write/do that matters...it's HOW you say/write/do it that makes all the difference in the world. Or can. I suppose if I were someone buying a new car I'd look the 'performing' dealership folks square in the eyes and tell them to cut the %$#* and give me the direct answers I want to hear before I get up and walk out...but in general we are greatly swayed by the 'attractability' of what we are hearing/reading/seeing. A unique 'perspective', if you will...(sorry if you are one of those people that hates that phrase...get over it! HA!)

And so I am musing without a whole lot in my creative bucket to pour out at the moment...I've spent the weekend on my topmost project priority, which is a very special flute commissioned for a school museum being created, dedicated to Native Americans and their way of life...making flutes is a very Spiritual process for me, and through various thought and meditative processes I get 'visions' on what to create. The moveable block on the Native American style of flute is the very last thing I make...just my 'way', I suppose...and this flute is a beauty, all done around the theme of 'water'. I will post the finished product on or after the presentation date, February 7...but for now I thought I'd let you see the fruits of my weekend labor from a single block of basswood...

From a sketch, to cutting out a silhouette outline, to grinding and rounding ad nauseum...to more finely shaping and sanding...to burning details...to the preliminary 'blocking' paint coats...it has been a meditative tedium of details that actually feeds my Soul. And it makes a dusty mess, that I'm happy to live with, I might add.

Going back to the 'perspective' idea...as you know, I pretty much take a camera with me when I go out into the woods each day. Yeah, January lends itself to a somewhat 'lifeless' landscape, though I've shown you pics of fungus, hawks, and all that refutes any sense of 'lifeless'...I have a few picture sets that I took on helping you practice your perspective when you are out and about...what looks like a basic, blah scene can be much more...depending on 'perspective'...


What looks like an interesting leaf pair with subtle textures in sunlight...


...is another world when you see it from the other side with the sun shining through it...

What is a boring scene of soccer goals all scrunched together...


...produces some neat patterning when you reframe your focus...



And a blah scene of parking lot and playing fields...



...has within it a nice reflective little microcosm all its own...
As you go about today, this week, or anytime, try to remember it's not necessarily what you see...but how you see it...and not what you experience...but...more importantly...how you choose to experience it.

Peace, all y'all.




No comments: